Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Speak for yourself - whaaaaaaaaaaa

metalsiren likes this.
  2. Chris D.

Chris D. Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the SPX for 6 weeks but ultimately returned it. I wanted to love it so so much and I still want to go buy another one. The deal breaker for me was the poor performance of Remote Desktop Connection. It was very very laggy, even using the Microsoft Store version. My google searches brought me to a version they are creating for ARM64, but it isn't yet ready.

Has anyone had any success with RDP on SPX?

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I'm using the Remote Desktop UWP Preview App for my Dev Machine that is on Azure and performance is fine, I run Visual Studio 2019 and Office365 ProPlus.

4. Chris D.

Well, I went back to BB and repurchased the SPX i had returned last week (at open box price - essentially saved $250 - I know it is mine because it still had the decals on the back of the machine which I hadn't removed). I had gone back to my Galaxy Book 12 for the week while looking for another replacement, and I just had to get this machine back. For one, on LTE speeds (Verizon) it blows the GB12 out of the water. Secondly, it's just a beautiful piece of hardware. Third, I realized I was using the preview version of Remote Desktop UWP instead of the stable version, so hopefully that clears up my issues. If not, I have another 30 days on the clock to return it to BB.

I'm going to put some faith in Microsoft that they are going to really improve the WOA experience by pressuring the development of ARM64 apps. Fingers crossed.

dstrauss and Marty like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I hope you are right about this last point. BTW - be sure to get BB to commit to the 30 day return period.

lovelaptops likes this.
  6. Chris D.

I think I found a way to determine if a program is running natively in ARM or in emulation. Go to task manager, right click on a running task and choose properties and go to the Compatibility tab. If under "Windows 10 on ARM" the emulation settings is greyed-out, I believe the app is running natively. If it is using some emulation (for example Office) the option is available to change the emulation settings. I haven't played with any of those settings yet.

lovelaptops likes this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I hope so as well and the whole industry needs an alternative to Intel. In my opinion, the X86 is rapidly running out of headroom and has for awhile. Yes Intel can keep adding more cores and making small bumps in clock speed but given the current state of modern software that's a diminishing benefit.

In fact the best thing about 10th gen I chips in my opinion is actually the improvements to on board video. But those types of improvements are of dubious benefit in a a lot of business and consumer workloads.

Not to mention that the Spectre flaws are mostly still with us while Intel and MS are playing software/microcode whack-a-mole with vulnerabilities as they are discovered instead of instead of the re-think of the architecture that is likely required to produce a more secure chip. And yes I'm aware that even ARM chips have some vulnerabilities such as the pre-fetch, but the level of improvement on ARM is an order of magnitude better for numerous reasons.

PS: I think the fact that there are so many ARM licensees versus basically just Intel and AMD for X86 helps a lot too.

lovelaptops likes this.
  8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Word to wise: even if they confirm you can return it (which I agree you should confirm), BB is infamous for the 3rd party consultant they use to flag "serial returners" (see also, @dstrauss :p, me!) and put them on a "do not permit returns" list. Usually it takes several returns over a short period of time, but given your unique case, you could even get flagged just for those two returns and you could be on the list for years. No criticism meant; the best of us on TPCR have been plagued by this, but as you are a newbie here, and sound fairly brazen about your clever "discount" strategy (it is clever, but they're onto you/us, even though you didn't do it with that in mind,) I'm guessing you were not aware. FYI, quite a few other electronics retailers use a similar approach. Really a drag!

dstrauss, Chris D. and Chris_Kez like this.
  9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

In Insider builds, there's a column in task manager that lets you display Architecture.

jnjroach likes this.
  10. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

It’s like a credit rating for returns. It’s called The Retail Equation (https://www.theretailequation.com). You can get around it by using your Passport rather than a DL for the return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovelaptops and Marty like this.