Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry. Haven't tried that.

@dstrauss : Update on your earlier question about media.

Video
    I transferred several movie length videos to the SPX using both USB and WiFi. One was in an .mp4/.m4v (~2GB) and one was an .mkv (~7GB - HD). File transfer speeds were good, only slightly slower than Surface Studio 2. Playback quality was excellent in both formats using the MS app.

Streaming Video
    I used Amazon Prime Video to test streaming. Performance depended on the browser being used.

Worst: Edge Dev. & Canary builds. Bad glitching and stuttering
    Not quite tolerable: Standard Edge. Occasional glitching
    Best in show: Firefox 64ARM beta build. Smooth as butter

Music
    I have a very large and old music collection (much of it pre-dating iTunes). I transferred ~1,000 tracks by USB and another ~1,000 by WiFi. Transfer speed was noticeably slower than the Studio. Copying the more complex file structure bogged down the SPX. Performance quality of the USB made a noticeable difference as well (early/cheap USB C thumb drives need not apply). Groove Music made quick work of indexing the library. Great playback. Still being impressed by the speaker quality. Noticeably better than any Surface tablet I've ever used.

Overall
    While media consumption is not a driver in my use case, SPX handles the tasks as well or better than any Surface tablet I've used. (Apologies: I didn't have the time or tools to provide exact measurements, times, speeds, etc. I also did not attempt to score battery life for playback, assuming the existing battery life ratings are based on the video playback loops anyway.)

Submitted for your consideration caveat emptor, without warranty as to fitness for any particular purpose. YMMV.

Steve S, Marty, JoeS and 2 others like this.
  2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

One thing to keep in mind with media playback is that on x64 PCs, you can buy a DTS decoder from the Microsoft Store (inside the app DTS Sound Unbound). That will let you play any media with DTS audio through Microsoft's own app.

That DTS app / decoder is not compatible with ARM however. So if you have videos with DTS built-in, then you need to use VLC (either the Store version, or the ARM64 compiled desktop version, which is an old build).

Bishop likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Purely anecdotal based on the one engineer of ours that is at CES, but another sign that the Pro X is struggling is the lack of them in vendors booths. Typically the Pro is quite common especially with vendors with mobile focused products. Lots of SP7s around but our guy only saw one SPX and that was for a vendor of sleeves and covers. It was.a very nice leather sleeve albeit a bit pricey at $169.

darkmagistric and JoeS like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Why is it that WOA and the Surface Pro X just feels like the "square peg in a round hole" issue all over again. If full Windows compatibility but "slow" was the weak link for the Surface Go, where does that leave the Surface Pro X?

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Well, don't forget the dismal battery life of the Go. At least it does better than that. IMO the X is still pretty great, just woafully overpriced. Yes that was a pun.

Bronsky, Bishop and dstrauss like this.
  6. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Then somebody should be very worried for the all glass Neo, on an (as yet) unfinished and unreleased sub-branch of the OS and an app ecosystem of unknown existence, span or scale.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The short battery life is really the Go's biggest flaw.

8. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I still think I may be the only one approaching it as an illustration device and loving it. FWIW, I did my last direct comparison to the MSP16 this past week. I thought I might return it and just go for the 2nd gen MSP13, in all its tepidness (poor battery life, 128gb SATA3 HDD, 8th gen, etc).

I realized how much I love the Slim Pen and the latest MPP. It has me dreaming about Surface Studios for basically the first time.

I have this quaint theory that one of the many reasons everyone was confused about this device is it truly was about drawing, between that Fresco demo and then the commercial with the woman working on her art at the hotdog stand or whatever it was. The "X" in SPX has media connotations to me, particularly media creation, just like Xbox is for media consumption. It doesn't need to be a quad core Intel machine for that anymore. The SQ1 is fine and will be even better once Adobe and some other devs get ARM64 versions out. You have various people working in other fields who are still pleased with it, but again, I really think it was about drawing with the slim pen LOL.

Anyways, I'm not going to freak out and return it over the allegedly bad sales. They do owe their marketing and not having the software out in time for that, I suppose. This will be my daily driver up through 2022, I hope.

Oh, but I do have the mention that, for now, the only way you'll probably appreciate its drawing prowess is, again, your workflow is CSP with Ray Frenden brush pack and a Tabmate. I don't know how it is on Corel or whatever (it's probably bad, but maybe it will get better) and the truth is my interest is incredibly limited outside CSP at this time. All I can say is try it in that fashion and you'll know ;)

I'm actually excited to eventually look into that sculpting app that Tablet Pro found which works well with Adreno.

Oh and one last thing:. I'm not defending the price at all, but the hilarious thing is it's not all that unreasonable if it's a choice between it, or a MobileStudio, or maybe even a ZBX2, particularly since it's going to have a more robust support infrastructure where you don't have to go to some creditor to get an extended warranty (but still without accident protection) like with Wacom.

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually I think you may be one of the ideal people for the SPX an I'm glad you are happy with it. I really wanted to like it as well and for web and office it was great especially the display and LTE.

The problem is that MS initially presented it to many of our customers as the successor to the intel base pro line and the reality turned out to be far from it.

neongolden likes this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Nice, thanks for providing a counterpoint to all the whining, by myself included! :)

neongolden likes this.