Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Last night they dropped v 81.0.377.0. The phantom circle dots longer appear. Score one for the bug hunters.

2. Bishop

I've also used the iPP 11. Your observation is spot on.

I can make the iPP 11 do email - as long as I don't have to deal with attachments. Bring in attachments, doc editing or spreadsheets and the iOS limitations become too much of a PITA. Throw in the clickety-clack of the Apple Pencil during notetaking and it's a nails on chalkboard work experience. Great media consumption/display.

A few weeks into my SPX trial run now. I wrote earlier about a day spent in a continuing ed class with SPX. Always on connectivity, full windows capability (admittedly not tested beyond Office, OneNote & web browsing) and battery life to spare got my attention. I even find myself doing more inking in OneNote on a daily basis because of the screen size and pen experience. I still haven't come across an x64 application I have to have when mobile.

For my use case, it's coming down to the app differences will exist no matter the Windows device I use. Will PWA ever deliver the ubiquitous experience? Dunno. I will say using Edge Canary and installing the Amazon web Kindle reader as an app got me to good enough for Kindle content. Other PWA experiences are encouraging so far.

The vote count on the jury is shifting. Deliberations continue...

lovelaptops and Bronsky like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Have you tried iTunes - every light-weight PC I've ever tried choked even on a downloaded iTunes movie...

4. Bishop

I haven't. I don't use iTunes for movies. I am going to give SPX a serious run at media file performance over the next week though.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Using the ARM64 Chromium Edge's ability to natively to install PWA application the need to use native apps is gone.

6. dstrauss

Not so fast there Kemosabe...how can PWA's replace native apps and even more important, is a PWA fully downloadable when you don't have an internet connection.

7. jnjroach

dstrauss, djas and Bishop like this.
  8. dstrauss

To the SPX User Group - how well does the SPX run eternal monitors (I use my x360 with two QHD monitors)?

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I had no issues with external displays with the SPX including a LG 5k singly via thunderbolt or dual QHD displays via USBC to display port (dell 27 inch models)

As to PWA apps, my experience with them has been less successful including the kindle app. I'd consider it usable but just barely compared to the native apps on IOS or Android. or for that matter even the older deprecated Kindle App for Windows 8 which is still more tablet friendly bugs and all.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    dstrauss likes this.
  10. jnjroach

Me at work this morning (5:45 AM) :)

I use a portable 4K monitor, with the 2 USB C ports, in theory you should be able to drive 2 4K Dsiplays, but I don't have a second one here at work.

[​IMG]

dstrauss likes this.