Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Yes on Insider Fast...typically I see it caused by web pages with embedded video while using Chromium Edge.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No, no USB devices plugged in currently.

That seems much more likely to be the issue, I think. I hadn't noticed any association with embedded video, but I frequently have Twitter up in the background so it's probably that.

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

WTF? I admire all you Surface X pioneers but, other than @desertlap, who does this for a living, what motivates you all to spend so much $ and time on a product that's clearly still under development?

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Its a hobby.....people spend copious amounts of money and time on hobbies;.....sky diving, photography, gin collecting, redecorating the house to match the cat, sail-boating, etc......for us....its the allure of getting and using a new Tablet PC.....and then taking it to a Starbucks, taking a seat at one of the larger communal tables....whipping out the new kid on the block.....and trying to gauge the reaction from the plethora of mac users who are wondering what the frick that thing is you just pulled out. Bonus points if you use the pen and get someone to assume is an apple product. My Mobile Studio Pro 13 has been mistaken as an apple product on many occasion.....usually "what iPad is that?", but I've gotten variations such as "I didn't know they had macbooks you could draw on." Because you know "Art just has to = Apple"

nyb72 and JoeS like this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Honestly, I was mostly just curious and pretty sure I would be returning this but just wanted to try it out... but now I really, really like it.

7. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree. Under development I don't think is accurate, the Samsung GB2 was a year ahead of it and still holds up damn good with 4gB ram and 128gB drive on it. I use mine daily running Windows S mode (is that still a thing). The only frustration is with Edge no different than on my SP6.

I had been waiting for the SPX but I'm going to pass on it. Just not enough there for me to justify the cost.

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

It looks like it is fixed with yesterday's Insider Update, as well as the brightness issue...

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

In the early days of my Samsung Book2 I lamented that there was not support for the Private Internet Access VPN Client. I think ARM support for their "app" is still not there, but apparently it's possible to connect to the PIA servers using the built-in Win10 VPN interface, see this reddit discussion. Has anyone here tried that already on their Pro X or otherwise?

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I stand, er, in admiration of the true pioneering going on here. I wish I had $1,500 to blow on an IPP replacement :newpalm: (Then again, if I wait 6 mos, it will work better and be available for 40% off used/refurbed. And I will have all of you to thank for making it - what it can be! Thanks. The admiration grows, for real.