Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Considering they didn't even port the full Photoshop experience in iOS I would be very cautious about that commitment. ;)

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

...while that is true and so disappointing.....its still something.....but also Windows on ARM.....is at least running Windows....from the file system, etc.....I would hold out more hope for a more faithful build then they did with iOS.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Something that we haven't discussed much is the fact that this Pro X doesn't have a prop-up keyboard anymore. There doesn't seem to be a way to fold the front edge up against the display for stability. [edit: apparently it does prop up, see next post]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It does....I do recall seeing a few videos of it today where the keyboard did prop up perfectly fine....might not be the same angle as the Pro 7....but it does prop up.

JoeS likes this.
  5. JoeS

Huh, surprising! The side-view that's now in the first post of this thread makes it seem like it wouldn't be flexible enough to fold up. So if it does, that means you could use it with the pen out of view, flipped up against the display? I kind of like that!

Edit: you're totally right, picture stolen from Ars Technica

upload_2019-10-2_20-56-25.png

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    darkmagistric likes this.
  6. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They’re trying to one-up Apple! :eek:

7. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Yea, but think how much you will save in batteries until you lose it in 5 months and need another one. But you won't need batteries for that one either so you actually are saving! :rolleyes::cool:

8. JoeS

According to Microsoft's specs, under typical use the Surface Pro X gets 13h of battery life, compared to 10.5h for the Surface Pro 7. That's 24% more battery life. Definitely nice to have, but not shockingly more than the 7. The X is a whole 1.2mm thinner, 0.04 lbs lighter, and has a whopping 8% more screen area. It's going to be hard to decide between the two.

- Need LTE? Pick the X.
    - Need most compatibility, pick the 7.
    - Need a little more battery life? Are you sure? OK, the X.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Check out The Verge hands on of the Surface Pro X and Surface Pro 7 - there is a little tray under the kickstand that you pop off with the little sim tool (looks like an open paperclip) and it uncovers the SSD and a SIM slot - nomSDX slot for this puppy.

[​IMG]

darkmagistric likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Call it sour grapes if you like (because I'm not pre-ordering), but it is long past time that the keyboard and pen gets bundled with these devices, particularly the Pro X where there aren't multiple colors or styles of keyboards or pens. The Surface Pro X is worthless without the pen and keyboard, so quit the mandatory upsales...