Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks Steve. that’s encouraging. I should know better than to trust MS chat.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

By chance did you establish the Bluetooth connection? In the Surface app....it gives you the battery life readings on all your Bluetooth Surface accessories from the slim pen to the dial. Mine is Bluetooth connected to my Pro 5....and I’ve had to charge the pen a few times already....I would say it’s def more on par with the 10 hour claim then anywhere near the 11-ish day claim. That might be however because of the Bluetooth connection....since technically the pen is always communicating with the Surface....henceforth draining the pens battery faster. But given the slim pen is more or less designed and intended to be used more by the Pro X’s type cover......it wouldn’t make sense for Microsoft to prolong the pens battery life since it would be ideally constantly topped off when you stowed it anyway.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Interesting that it wouldn't deactivate while idle like previous Surface Pens (ie. the first eraser button press will take a bit longer to 'wake up' and register than subsequent ones).

One quick tip though, is the side-switch on the Surface Pens can double as the eraser button click (while hovering) for your pen button shortcuts:

[​IMG]

This makes it so the BT connection is not strictly necessary. I've used Surface Pens for well over 3 months of daily heavy use this way. In fact, I've never really been able to kill it, just the pen performance starts dropping precipitously around 20% charge.

Have you tried disabling the BT connection to see if the battery life drastically improves?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Bishop The pen is supposed to be a Bluetooth LE device, so it draining the battery at the rate you are experiencing may indicate either an issue with the Bluetooth software stack on the X or possibly another device may be to blame.

It wasn't with the Surface but we had another tablet that used Bluetooth LE as well and was draining the battery in the pen quickly in less than a day. It turns out in that case that a mouse that was also connected via Bluetooth was the culprit. The mouse was keeping the whole bus at full power all the time. When we disconnected the mouse, the battery life went back to normal.

When I'm in the office Monday I'll do a bit of testing with our demo unit. I can say that on my personal system I've only had to charge it once since I got it. and even then it wasn't strictly needed, but I was going to be out all day and using it intermittently and just wanted to make sure it was topped off

Chris_Kez likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Does anyone know of a way to define shortcut keys / keyboard shortcuts on WOA systems? I'd like to define some shortcut key combinations to launch specific apps.

6. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you for that insight.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...By chance did you establish the Bluetooth connection?..>>

@darkmagistric : Yes; I paired the Pro 7 and the Slim Pen as soon as I got it. Also, note that I wasn't trying to argue that the Slim Pen would last for weeks on end. I was simply arguing that it would certainly last for an entire day based on the fact that after 11 days, I my pen was still working...

8. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My SPX is now back in the hands of Microsoft. I was a little sad to see it go it for me I just had to. I would have kept it for a BIG price cut but that was never going to happen

9. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you see improvement from GB2 to SPX in battery life, screen and performance? Is it locked to a carrier like the GB2 is locked to AT&T?

Edit: I read through most of this topic and still haven't decided if I'm going to buy the SPX. I'm happy with my Samsung Book 2 except for the inability to unlock it from AT&T preventing me from using it on T-Mobile. Other than that, my use, mostly MS Office, note taking, email and browsing, the performance and battery life meets my needs; I'm still in Windows S mode. The only software I "miss" is MS Project. I rather have the GB2 with me as I know the battery will easily get me through a day where 4-5 hours of use and my SP6 is dead.

JoeS likes this.
  10. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Day 2, still loving this slate.

Edit:. Mehh tried to post my impressions of pen battery life but I doubt I know what I'm talking about. I'm not in the position to put it to the test.