Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Overall I still don't see the value in WOA devices: to date they have all compromised on performance to the point of negateing any battery life gains so don't see the appeal of this device either.

Sent from mTalk

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

This Pro X runs a Snapdragon Chip that is allowed to go up to 7W power draw. That's apparently way more than typical, meaning you'd expect way more processing power than previous WOA devices.

I agree though, these devices for now are not obviously in a league of their own. Similar screen size, similar weight, similar pricing, worse software compatibility. Better LTE though, and presumably waaaay better battery life (edit: according to MS, only 24% more battery life). That's one spec that I'm really looking forward to hearing more about.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Truly, you have ascended beyond the rest of us...>>

...Yes, and don't forget that the next time I give you advice...!

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Overall I still don't see the value in WOA devices...>>

...I think that's the point of the Pro X. We users need to try the hardware to see how viable it is in our respective real worlds. (That's what I'm doing, anyway...)

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

As someone who has been using the Tab 6 as my primary note-taking device, I just ordered the Pro X 16/256 with cover and pen :)

Marty likes this.
  6. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was concerned that VPN would be an issue but looked at Cisco release notes and it still supports 32 but on windows so that's a plus. Hopefully with the emulation it would not be an issue installing anyconnect but would have to see

7. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah I am still in my return window for the tab s6 so still on the fence about returning and getting the prox

I mainly use my IPP 11 for note taking. Really like good notes and closest android has is squid ,not sure what's avail for windows besides one note

jnjroach likes this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I"m willing to give the Pro X the benefit of the doubt. Yeah....it's been somewhat rocky thus far (Samsung) but I feel if ARM has a chance it needs Microsoft pushing it up till it can stand on its own. And thankfully with Adobe now committed to bringing the Creative Cloud to ARM....that will definitely help establish the platform on a way grander scale. And I'm sure they're only doing that because Microsoft is pushing this big time. Where as Windows RT and Windows S were kind of doomed from the start.....I have a good feeling of WOA.....I think it could down the line be the future of windows computing. Have to admit, I'm even considering trading in both my Pro 5 and my Go in towards the X.

9. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not seeing a MicroSD capability on this. Am I missing it?

Surface Pro X specs

Edit: It does appear to support Verizon & AT&T LTE bands

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Its not on the spec sheet...but given how new these pages are, it could be an oversight.

Another possibility....it does list a Nano Sim card slot....most phones have been incorporating the Micro-SD card support in with the Sim Tray.....so the Surface Pro X's Sim tray could be pulling double duty here as well.

Bishop likes this.