Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm definitely very interested and want to see what the final size, weight, and battery life figures are. I continue to use a go and a pro probably 75% of the time as a tablet without keyboard attached so it will come down to a value proposition. I'm hearing conflicting info on pricing with some speculation that it will be in the iPad pro range.

The big unknown is if MS will get serious about the tablet interface again as ever since Windows 8, they seem to be backing away from it. If the OS and office Apps are in the same state then as today, it doesn't seem like I'd gain much over the Go.

TLDR: IMHO the Neo is MS's last shot at making a truly great tablet that could compete with the iPad. Time will tell what we get

djas likes this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

I’ve been tweeting again. I may have to change my handle to Sancho Panza.

upload_2019-11-11_19-31-1.jpeg

Attached Files:

dstrauss likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So Brad Colbow just put up his review (and it's pretty hilarious, I recommend watching through it :D).

Good news for artists! ClipStudio Paint is confirmed running well @6:20:

Strokes look pretty responsive, and overall the programs seems running at about Atom X7-level performance (which is very usable in CSP's case).

Medibang Paint is another x86 drawing app confirmed good enough for art.

On the UWP side, Sketchable takes the cake in terms of UI responsiveness, performing pretty much at native speeds. Leonardo is however confirmed not working (x86-64 apparently).

Another bit of info, Brad didn't notice any improvement in pen performance or jitter compared to previous Surface Pens, which seems to contradict what @desertlap was told.

(@desertlap, specifically what pen improvements did the MS engineers say were in the SPX digitizer/pen? Anything that could be testable by owners here?)

So overall, I'm just glad that CSP has maintained its track-record of rock solid performance on all manner of Windows tablets. Hats off to the CELSYS team! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    JoeS likes this.
  4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For what it's worth, the Windows Central editor clarified on how Office works (using chpe binaries, compiled hybrid portable executable).

https://twitter.com/Daniel_Rubino/status/1192939660730863616

5. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Man... I had such high hopes.

If the Surface Pro 7 looked like the X but thicker with built-in slim pen charger... I would have been all over that.
    I'm hoping that maybe they'll eventually create a keyboard that can do that

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Brad didn't notice any improvement in pen performance or jitter compared to previous Surface Pens...>>

By coincidence, I did some tests of the Slim Pen on the Studio 2 earlier this evening. Contrary to what I thought would happen, the Slim Pen and the Studio 2's pen drew identical-looking lines. I was pretty bummed!

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

On the topic of jitter, I'm not really surprised the Slim Pen on the Studio 2 didn't yield better results. Digitizer improvements have to be in tandem between the tablet and the pen...even if there was a higher level of performance the Slim Pen can achieve...it wouldn't be able to do so on the Studio 2.

However I am a little surprised Brad didn't have more to say about the Pen in his video review. Given the change in the Nib assembly and how it gives pressure easier at the low end.....on my Pro 5 the Slim Pen is definitely an improvement over the Pro 5 pen.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Contrary to what I thought would happen, the Slim Pen and the Studio 2's pen drew identical-looking lines...>>

...Note that I didn't say that the Slim Pen wasn't better in certain other ways; yesterday's tests were solely about whether "jitter" had improved at all on heritage devices...

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Marty and all. All MS has said to us was that the pen tech in the Pro X was "newly designed" but absolutely nothing concrete beyond that.

Our testing shows one possible difference with the scan/sampling rate being higher when the Pro X is used with it's pen. Normally a faster sampling rate would improve accuracy but as others who are far more pen proficient than me have observed it doesn't seem too or to be any other noticeable improvement in the real world.

A couple possible explanations are that one, either the other software aspects haven't been updated yet to take advantage, or two, the more likely explanation that it's simply a byproduct of an adaptation to the new display including the digitizer hardware being a bit thinner.

Our pen expert is on the case, but no news to share so far.

Steve S and Marty like this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Or door number 3 - "newly designed" means form factor and recharge-ability, and nothing more...

efjay likes this.