Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

[Putting on the interviewer hat]

So @Steve S, being the fastest early-adopter among this rabid pack :D, would like to say any words about WOA in general?

We've discussed many times about how MS has been slow to stimulate developer interest in UWP, and now WOA. Can this most recent purchase be taken as a renewed vote of confidence for the platform?

Personally, how do you envisage using the SPX? Daily driver or more of a companion? Any particular productivity/design apps you already have in mind (or would like ported ASAP to WOA)?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    desertlap, WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, the left brain just won out and no pre-order for me. The tale of the tape (and pricing) nixed the Surface Pro X.
    • Surface Pro X - ARM, 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD, Gigabit 4g LTE, 2xUSB-C, Surface Connect, keyboard, slim pen, Microsoft Complete - $2025 (with parent discount but before tax); 11.3x8.2x0.35, est weight 2.5-2.7Lbs (weight and thickness with keyboard)
    • ThinkPad X1 Yoga - i7-8665U, 16gb RAM, 2TB SSD, 4g LTE, 2xTB3, 2xUSB-A, HDMI - $1749 used, but $209 to add 3 year warranty: 12.7x8.5x0.59, weight 2.98 lbs
    I know, I am comparing Apples and Oranges, new vs. (slightly) used, cutting edge tech vs 2018 tech, but there is a whole lot more tech crammed into a box not substantially bigger than the SPX. Going to kick the extra point instead of going for 2 for now. What a wimp...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    JoeS likes this.
  3. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wifi 5 on the X in its specs but wifi 6 on the sp7...wtf ?

Same for the laptop the 13 is wifi 6 but the 15 is wifi 5

Not to mention dont know what limitations would be with ARM...

have an IPP 11 but still debating on returning the Galaxy Tab s6 that I have for a SPX......still lots of fighting in my head.... its so nice and shiney dont know if i can resist it. hmmmmm

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...would (you) like to say any words about WOA in general?..>>

...I admit to being curious about WoA, but I'm more curious about the integrated device and its associated pros and cons.

At this point, I'm well past needing a platform for a specific use case, so I simply buy hardware to satisfy my curiosity, and to be able to comment intelligently on these forums. I think (maybe fear?) that @desertlap may be right and that the future Surface Pro may become exclusively an ARM device. If so Pro X is the wave of the future, and Pro Intel is a dying breed. We'll see how this goes in the intermediate future...

Marty likes this.
  5. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I was just starting to think about upgrade options for my iPad Pro 12.9. I hate that it's the only non usb-c thing I have and battery life is starting to shrink to the point it makes me nervous in rehearsal sometimes. Also, I've had it long enough to be thoroughly bored with it despite the fact that really, it's fine. But getting a new 12.9 with usb-c and lte is pricey. Pricier than $999 to exact.

6. metalsiren

not that I use my IPP 11 cameras but on that model its 12 in back 7 in front and the SPX is 10 rear and 5 in the front (and speculation is the IPP is getting a spec boost soon)

7. metalsiren

it looks nice but, 32bit app support only no 64.... hmm not sure about this one

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ah, if there's anyone more worthy of the "Super Moderator" status than @Steve S, I do not know it.

He buys tablets not to use them, or even to satisfy some earthly tech lust—but for pure knowledge.

Truly, you have ascended beyond the rest of us. ;)

JoeS likes this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So @Marty, You know I have been a proponent of Windows on ARM. Well I'm walking the walk too. I didn't go full in as I bought only the base model to replace my Go.

I'll post when I get one and/or MS gives us a test device

Marty and JoeS like this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Nice, very exciting. Curious to hear how it compares to the venerable Galaxy Book2.