Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Good questions. Cisco VPN works. There's AnyConnect in the store, and once installed you can configure it in the VPN section of Windows settings. Other VPNs (like PIA or Nord or others), I'm not sure. So if you do a lot of peer-to-peer stuff, more research is needed.. Personally I couldn't get the PIA support folks to understand what Windows 10 ARM even is, so my guess is "not supported" for the near term.

As for running youtube, Firefox ARM should be fine. Honestly I make do with Edge Insider 32bit on my Book2 which is slow, but should be decent experience on the Pro X. As mentioned earlier, there will be an Edge Chromium build for ARM, which should be super snappy, and should handle Youtube AND ad blocking with no problems. It sounds like that build is still a few months out though. I haven't tried MyTube yet.

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Even if it were a single or dual core x86 chip as a sort of emulation "co-processor" that only kicked on when needed, that would help immensely. Using chiplet, Foveros or multi-die packages, this should be easily accomplished. Emulation is always a losing battle unless the target architecture is largely a superset of the other and/or can run most of the machine code while requiring little inflight translation.

3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Well, I will give Microsoft this: Windows is infinitely better at letting the user control what applications they want open or closed for themselves and without the operating system thinking it knows better. Apple's iPadOS/iOS 13.2 have been an absolute nightmare which is preemptively closing background apps without warning including YouTube, office applications, and remote connections. If I were a primary Apple user (fortunately, my phone is a secondary accessory and not a primary tool), I would be demanding a refund for the trouble it has caused with my iPhone XR. It may be solid evidence that Apple needs to pony and enlarge the RAM capacity in their future devices if they are having to proactively clear the background apps all the time like this.

4. sitoudien

sitoudien Pen Pal - Newbie

Half baked, over priced flop. What a shame! If running win 10, then it should run everything. No if and or buts.

efjay likes this.
  5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Unless as I mentioned previously, you need SAML 2.0 single sign on. Then it just won't work. (But to be fair, this probably only will affect you if you work at a large corporation. Basically, if you need to get redirected to a corporate webpage to enter your credentials through that, you're going to have problems. Just wanted to make sure people are aware of that before they buy if they're in that situation.) Also, for what it's worth, OpenVPN doesn't appear to have an ARM64 Windows version either.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    JoeS likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Reviews of reviews? Is this a thing now? God I love these forums. :D

Alright, let me make my submission:

Dave2D hits its right⁠—it's about the apps. And his comparison to the iPad is actually fair, as he correctly points out that the original 2010 iPad was essentially useless (at first) too.

He's not overly-dramatic about the shortcomings. He doesn't go out of his way to make app compatibility seem complicated. Just short and sweet and to the point, Dave2D style. ;)

JoeS likes this.
  7. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

Isn’t it more likely a bug in 13.2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not really changing my plans to get one, but here's a funny question: How bad do you figure I'd be hurting the battery's longevity if I'm stressing the hardware via emulation? Was it less about the number of discharge cycles and more about the simple passage of time, provided you didn't do anything truly careless like fully discharge it? I can't dig up those old @Steve S posts.

Maybe x86 CSP will turn out to be so light (especially the non-fancy way I use it for now) that it's practically a moot point. That would be awesome. I can wait a long time for Celsys, Adobe, and hopefully Blender and Autodesk to compile ARM64 if I just have this and don't feel like I'm burning out my battery/system prematurely, even though I also plan on getting the extended warranty.

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

JoeS likes this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I can't dig up those old @Steve S posts...>>

@neongolden : You're probably thinking about the data plots found at batteryuniversity.com . If you keep your battery state between about 80% and 30% of charge (a practical discharge range), you will significantly minimize battery wear. I have tablets that are over 4 years old whose batteries still exhibit reasonable operating times...

Battery Life.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    neongolden likes this.