Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

ok my SPX finally just shipped..... again , thank god for the return policy until Jan 31 :) just in case

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Wanna take bets that they STAY on iPad Pro after this...

lovelaptops likes this.
  3. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

stupid question, with the SPX coming... where would I find the Edge Chrome installer for ARM?

4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

It sounds more and more like the Surface Go 2 with the rumored Core M3-8100Y will end up being a better fit for most people than the Surface Pro X. Honestly, the only way a Surface Pro X-like device will ever take is if Microsoft had a custom ARM/x86 chip with both silicon on it--plausible (though perhaps still unlikely) with AMD and Qualcomm now on center stage in the Surface family. Without a fully custom chip, emulation will never work unless you are talking about a mains-powered desktop computer that has an order of magnitude more of performance of the old processor you are attempting to translate into your new architecture. That is one of a few reasons why emulation wasn't as much of a problem for Apple when they moved from PowerPC to x86 since a desktop is less inhibited by performance than a low power mobile SoC with plenty of core and clock speed headroom to play with.

lovelaptops likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

For now, on some random dude's Telegram channel (?) apparently. Not really recommended imo because who knows what else is in those builds.. MS hasn't put out any builds for the Edgium on ARM, which is pretty mystifying. I would have loved to be alpha tester for that on my Galaxy Book2.

A better option for now is probably Firefox, which had a Beta of their ARM build out already in April. Presumably there's a newer build, but again the user is left in the dark. Going to their Beta page, there's no mention of ARM vs x86, so all you can do is download the installer and seeing what happens. Even then iirc you can't directly see which version just got installed (32bit or ARM).

These are the same annoyances as when I got my Book2 early this year, and the fact that nothing has changed since then doesn't make me too hopeful that this will be more transparent to the consumer any time soon.

6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

JoeS likes this.
  7. JoeS

That sounds expensive though, and there's probably IP issues and a huge number of technical issues. But I agree, with the combo of AMD and qualcomm that could even work. I'm sure Intel wouldn't be thrilled about this though.. :D

I think an ARM Surface with full Win10 can be successful just fine as long as it's much cheaper or way better in some aspects than the standard Pro. If it offers major improvements on some fronts (portability, battery life, pricing) then people will forgive some compatibility issues and an occasional slowdown. At the current pricing, and with similar or worse performance than the 'real Pro', the reviews predictably show little to no mercy.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's not a altogether terrible idea, in some ways it's not all that different than integrated video with intel now.

In fact back in the power PC days Motorola had a PowerPC/AMD hybrid in development but it was scrapped when Apple made the decision to go with Intel and IBM developed the PowerPC chips they didn't share.

9. JoeS

For those interested, the NYTimes also posted a review. That reviewer states that it's not great as a tablet, and that for doing real work (like wrapping up the review), he chose to work with "a PC". My guess is that last choice is because he states the NYTimes works with DropBox, which doesn't do full file sync on ARM. Other than that, the Pro X should be the perfect machine to write an article on. It doesn't look good that even for writing an article, the author reaches for something else than the X. Bad luck for MS that the NYT uses DropBox..

sonichedgehog360 and Steve S like this.
  10. chongsen

chongsen Pen Pal - Newbie

For the ones who received their fresh Pro X, may I ask a few questions:

How is Excel performing ? Ideally compare the performance between Pro 7 and Pro X.

Is there any viable ARM base VPN software ?

How is mytube running ?

I presume Edge experience will be identical to Pro 7. Correct me if I overestimated it.

I read a few reviews this morning. For my use case, all negative points are tolerable (so far). Maybe I have relative low expectation.
    I merely need an iPad with
    flexible kickstand
    full mouse & keyboard support
    good noting experience
    non-mobile version office package
    adequate web browser
    Ideally, a youtube app with AD-block

Guess what, all checked !

lovelaptops, Steve S and JoeS like this.