Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I was really hoping to test this thoroughly on my mobile and desktop drawing setups, but I just tried downloading and running the Fresco installer on my Z Canvas and it came up as "device not supported".

From the requirements page, it looks like Adobe is restricting installs except on certain tablet models:

"Minimum requirement
    Any of the following devices:

• Surface Pro 4
    • Surface Pro 5
    • Surface Pro 6
    • Surface Book 1
    • Surface Book 2
    • Surface Studio 1
    • Surface Studio 2
    • Surface Go
    • Wacom Mobile Studio Pro"
    Which is really dumb, cause there are tons of N-Trig/MPP devices out there. Isn't this supposed to be based on UWP? :confused:

Could anyone zip up the program files, so I can test if it runs on my "unsupported" machine? :p

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Looks like the launch of Edge Chromium will officially be January 15. Hopefully they'll have an ARM version on that date too (looks like mainly they've only been working on ARM in the Canary version at least assuming that Telegram channel is actually getting all of the builds).

JoeS likes this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Finally had a look at the Pro X in a store. Great looking device. One nice little bit of engineering: zero sharp corners under the kickstand, so no dents in your fingers after carrying it around with the kickstand open. Unlike with the Galaxy Book2 I should add. I didn’t get to test too much because the internet didn’t work where I was, but overall the device seemed pretty responsive. I like the new stylus as well. Great product, please drop the price to $850 with keyboard and stylus.. :rolleyes:

5. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone care to speculate on how much difference in performance the 16GB RAM model will haven WOA?

more specifically, will it be worth the $200 premium?

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Just got an e-mail from my Microsoft store. My Pro X is apparently delayed until Thursday? Don't know why...

7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Based on the previous generation with the Galaxy Book 2 vs the Lenovo. If you are running x86 apps then the emulation uses a ton of memory plus it's even worse if you are running more than one. If you are talking native WOA apps 8GB is plenty just like on the regular surface pro.

8. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

thanks

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Looks like reviews are about what I expected, people having trouble with the limitations of ARM.

https://www.inverse.com/article/60674-microsoft-surface-pro-x-review
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/5/...view-arm-windows-10-apps-features-specs-price
    https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/05...iew-price-specs-availability-windows-arm-lte/

All three of these reviews also complain about Chrome in x86 emulation. If only Microsoft had their own Chromium-based browser officially available for ARM in time for the launch of this thing.

Also, battery life sounds surprisingly awful (for an ARM device).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Right now... I just wouldn't like to be a beta tester for this device. Maybe in six months, as previously said, when it's £500 on eBay. Shame. WOuld it have hurt MS to have delayed this device by six months?