Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wonder when my SPX is going to ship

2. sitoudien

sitoudien Pen Pal - Newbie

Please explain what this means.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Everything seems to be precisely explained in the description:

"The Passmark test (0:00-1:20) presumably runs in emulation as a 32-bit app...It gives a CPU score of 4269, which is well below a processor like Intel Core i5-8259U @ 2.30GHz (10994), even looking only at single-threaded scores...

Along the same lines, QuikMark (1:22-2:22), probably also running in emulation, gives a score of 37 GFLOPs for the Surface Pro X, but 83 GFLOPs for the Pro 7. Again, this substantial difference likely has a lot to do with emulation...

The browser-based Silverbench (2:22-) told a very different story, however. In this test, the Surface Pro X actually outdid the Pro 7, with a score of 6839 vs 5801"

Nice find. Those are the first hands-on benchmarks I've seen for the SQ1. Incidentally, a Passmark score of 4269, puts it at about the level of a Skylake i5-6300u mobile processor. Not too shabby actually...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    bloodycape, neongolden and Bronsky like this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

And, twice the performance of the Pentium Gold in my Go. The Pro X would have been a better fit for a 10" device adding power and longevity to the portability and easy handling..

JoeS and Chris_Kez like this.
  5. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

A smaller Pro X would have also had smaller expectations. But they probably couldn’t have made the pricing work at that size, or attracted enough buyers. I do wonder how long it will be before WOA doesn’t require a premium investment for reasonable performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. sitoudien

sitoudien Pen Pal - Newbie

How us that good? That's a 6th gen cpu

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It is a bit ironic that WOA requires a costly ARM CPU that undermines the one true advantage ARM CPU makers had over Intel ... cost? Maybe the 7cx will power the next Go, but it is more likely that this great device is headed to the trash heap of neglect.
    https://www.windowscentral.com/qualcomm-cooking-cheaper-snapdragon-7cx-arm-laptops

It is the Go, not the Pro X that should be taking on the IPad as only the Go can really compete when used as a tablet and is hands down superior as a laptop substitute.

Chris_Kez and daddyfish like this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Emulation especially X86 is always going to inflict a major performance penalty.
    That test and others show not only that, but it you are running a native 64bit ARM app, the newest chip meets or exceeds mainstream intel core I

So that's the challenge MS and anybody else who makes an ARM device has. Especially if a company release a 7x series device and people try to run X86 apps in emulation, it's going to be a painful experience akin to the original Atom devices.

I think that's why intel is releasing Tremont. It's an attempt to take some of the best parts of ARM such as lower power consumption, and BIG/little core architecture. However I think that might make things worse actually especially if the public perceives or the companies market the Tremont devices as a performance alternative to ARM.

And of course the wild card in this is Apple. If they release a MacBook with an A series chip, it might embarrass the SQ1 and 8cx. Apple has both much more extensive experience with ARM because of the iPhone and iPad , but also a large potential library of apps waiting in the wings. Yes they will be simple IOS ports, but they will be both quick, and known entities to consumers.

Not to mention that MacOS and IOS are cousins built off the same unix code base. They will have to release some form of emulation here, but Apple also has much more experience with moving to new chip architectures since they have already done it twice. From 68000 to power PC and then from Power PC to intel.

darkmagistric likes this.
  9. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

Agreed, personally I find the Go perhaps even the most appealing since I now have a SP 1 and the Go-line seems as a good upgrade at similar size. Maybe the Go will get updated in the next surface event? (before summer?, could be I remember that wrong)

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

How is that bad? :p

What kind of performance were you expecting under emulation?

If you recall back in early days, we all thought WOA would usher in a new era of affordable, all-day devices—then the HP Envy X2 hit and we all woke up.

The WOS devices have always been marketed at the $1000 price point, even starting with the lowly SD835. Samsung followed suit with the Book2. If anything, those previous devices make the SQ1 in the SPX look like a bargain!

And it's not necessarily a bad thing; they are positioning these as 'premium ultrabook alternatives' (rather than 'cheap Atom alternatives'). That puts the pressure on Qualcomm/MS/OEMs to focus on delivering robust and optimized performance across all laptop workloads.

Which (if successful) will be a major boon for consumer in the long-term. ;)

PS. I would have loved to see a 'Go X', with slim-bezel treatment. That would equate to what, an ~11.6" screen within the same footprint (and slightly thinner)?

Yes, please. :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    daddyfish and Bishop like this.