Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Well said.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

64, 65, whatever it takes...

Chris_Kez likes this.
  3. sitoudien

sitoudien Pen Pal - Newbie

This thread is more and more depressing. SPX looks half baked.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yes, I could be easily convinced to migrate to the Neo. I suspect that the Tremont Atom is going to be more powerful overall and far more energy efficient than the Pentium "Gold" in my Go. LTE will also be a must in my next tablet and 10 to 12 hour battery life would be nice. The atom was on a decent development trajectory before Intel pulled the plug. Glad to see it back in the mix. The Pentium Gold is an inefficient solution to small, portable tablet design.

I'm wondering if anyone else is going to take on Microsoft and make something better. Samsung has already indicated that it will be shipping a Lakefield powered Galaxy Book S much earlier than Microsoft's Neo. Maybe Samsung will do the same with its detachable. Lenovo only has to add the keyboard component to its dual screen and viola - Thinkpad Neo.
    https://liliputing.com/2019/10/next...be-the-first-intel-lake-field-powered-pc.html

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

What makes you say that? It seems pretty fully baked. Great new design, fast ARM processor, compatibility with the majority of desktop software.

Main threats imo:

1) unoptimized Chrome making the tablet seems sluggish to the average user.

Solution: MS needs to preinstall an ARM build of Edge Chromium, and clarify to consumers that it's Chrome without the spying. They seem to be running late on that unfortunately.

2) Incompatibility of some high-end software that has gone x64 only (no 32bit version available anymore).

Solution: companies need to compile for x86 32bit. Should be relatively easy I think, but for legacy software (those rare programs that were recently made x64 only, only to stop development right then and there) it might be an issue. If too many people run into "missing apps", that could affect public opinion.

I think both these threats are manageable, but we'll see!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Honestly, I've been fairly negative on Microsoft lately, but the Pro X is more interesting to me than the Neo, Duo, Laptop, or Pro 7 combined.

I have actually been considering ordering one to try out the Windows ARM experience for real*, but the logical side of my brain says that these will be fairly discounted quickly because of returns for apps people try running.

*I've played with it before on my Lumia 950XL but that doesn't really count because it's a hacked mess.

dstrauss likes this.
  7. dstrauss

NOPE - either optimized Chrome or this one dies on the vine just like RT. I know it is in their self interest to use weaponized Edge, but without full Chrome (and Adobe Acrobat Pro in all honesty), WOA ans SPX will be another failure. I believe users can forgive CC and AutoCAD for some time, because this device is in no way optimized for that experience, but business runs on the other two, and even good programs like Drawboard PDF are mere shadows by comparison.

Given the prominence of Android on the DUO, if they can't get real Chrome out of Google for their WOA platform, they need to QUIT.

8. dstrauss

I expect a raft of returns/sales of devices after February 1 due to Microsoft's extended return period through 01/31/20.

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Agree to disagree. iOS didn't have Chrome for the longest time, and Safari did just fine. People will use the built-in browser if necessary. But: they will complain if they can't do certain things, like due to Google sabotaging YouTube on Edge 'full', or extensions not working.

With Edge Chromium, it runs like Chrome, it behaves like Chrome, and it installs Chrome extensions. IF that's ready and native, I suspect users will end up noting that Chrome is slow, and use Edge Chromium. The problem is, I have yet to see a native Edge Chromium on ARM build, and time is running out for making a good first impression on consumers.

MS is going to have to explain very clearly: for users of the Pro X, browser options are:

Chrome 32bit, Firefox 32bit etc etc. Slow and power hungry because of emulation
    Edge ARM. Fast and battery efficient, but no Chrome extensions (but it does offer quite a few, including ad blockers)
    Edge Chromium ARM native. Fast, battery efficient, basically Chrome without the googly stuff. Win win win.
    Firefox ARM native. Fast, battery efficient (not sure of the progress, there was an alpha months ago though)

Problem is, MS has been woefully incompetent when it comes to educating users. Remember the five second intro animation explaining how Windows 8 worked differently? That went great... /s

OK, suggestion: what if Windows were to pop up a notification saying "You are running a browser in emulation mode. For better performance, choose one of these native browsers (+ list and explanation) [remind me later / do not show again]". I think that could help without too much pushback.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Bishop likes this.
  10. sitoudien

sitoudien Pen Pal - Newbie

It's the software incompatibility. To paraphase another poster here:. Joe consumer will load an incompatible app, get pissed, and return it. Repeat multiple times and this will sink WOA. Half baked