Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

From what I could gather, the overall pen performance of the Slim Pen is quite on par with the Pro 5 gen of the Surface Pen, which in my opinion was a significant step up from the Pro 3 gen.

2. chongsen

chongsen Pen Pal - Newbie

I c, the PRO 5 pen is much cheaper though. I can find one around $50 on local second hand market.

Will it compatible with Pro X ? Should I skip the slim version ?

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It should be, I used the Pro Pen with the Pro X at Best Buy and didn't seem to have any trouble using it. However, you would have no way to stow the Pro Pen away with the Surface X, it won't connect magnetically to the side, and the Pro Pen is too thick for the keyboard dock. Also just because I couldn't discern any difference in the pens from my brief use of the pen at Best Buy, doesn't mean there aren't advancements to the pen. In the Case of the Pro 5 Pen....that pen works best in Tandum with the Pixel Sense Chips in the Pro 5 and up. If you were to use the Pro 3 or 4 pen with the Pro 5-7.....the overall pen performance would be subpar compared to using the actual Pro 5 pen, and in reverse the Pro 5 pen wouldn't work any better on a Pro 3 or 4 then their own respective pens. So if there are indeed specific improvements with the Slim pen, (improvements that might only be discernable after frequent and heavy usage), you would be missing out by just using the Pro Pen. But if you're going to be getting a Pro x....you would be better off getting the Slim pen, preferably the combo that comes with the keyboard. Also the Slim Pen is clearly going to be the Future of the Surface Pen.....both the Surface Neo and Duo were showcased with the slim pen......and given that leaked information about the Surface Pro's proper redesign needing more time.....its likely the next batch of Surface refreshes, Pro 8, Book 3, and Studio 3 will very likely utilize the slim pen as well. So if you have any intention of keeping with the Surface Brand going forward, the Slim Pen, although more expensive would be the better investment.

chongsen, dstrauss and Chris_Kez like this.
  4. mrpentastic

mrpentastic Pen Pal - Newbie

I just had the chance to play with the Surface Pro X at my local Best Buy. And wow first impressions are really solid!

First off, the hardware is simply stunning. The slim profile, all black chassis, reduced bezels all make for a great first impression.

Secondly, the new slim pen feels very light in hand, a bit plasticky, but the way the tip glides across the surface is real nice. I immediately fell in love with it. It’s not as grippy as the Surface Pro’s rubber tip and not as clackky as an iPad Pro’s Pencil 1. To me, it was perfect.

I got to try 3 pen apps:
    - Whiteboard with Windows Ink
    - Sketchable
    - Concepts

All three drawing apps worked really well. There was no discernible pen to output lag, it was snappy. And I could draw freely without feeling like the X was getting in the way.

The only stutter I noticed was when trying to pinch zoom in/out and two-finger tap undo. Coming from the iPad Pro 10.5, the X feels slower and not as optimized when it comes to these two gestures.

I also tried the front facing and rear facing camera. In my line of work I’m often taking captures of whiteboards and of hand written notes. The camera worked flawlessly. Was snappy and was able to take photo in quick succession. The only downside I noticed was that there seemed to be no way to go from camera -> camera roll -> annotating onto the photo directly without reopening the file in windows snip ink app.

One big pain point was the way text fields worked. I’m sure this is a configuration in settings somewhere, but it annoyed me that the default mode of input was handwriting.

I can also confirm the surface pro X keyboard will not work on the pro 7, nor will the pro 7 keyboard work on the pro x. The connecting points are a completely new design.

The pro x keyboard like the 7 can be flipped around and attached. This means the keys are facing inward and not on the table or in your hands when you fold the keyboard to the back.

The pro x keyboard material felt a bit rougher than the pro 6 keyboard material. With the keyboard folded back and the kickstand open, the tilt doesnt give way. I was really impressed with this, because it meant I can draw without worrying about the surface getting flatter as I apply pressure to the screen. (It holds its angle with the help of the rough keyboard material)

Weight wise. It felt almost the same as the pro 7 next to it. It didn’t feel drastically heavier or lighter than the 7. However due to the slightly slimmer profile it just felt nicer in the hand.

dstrauss, Steve S, metalsiren and 3 others like this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The keyboard flipped back and the kickstand using it as the base is a good trick for slippery airline seat trays. :) I'm sure that wasn't the plan but regardless...

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I sure am jealous of you guys who don't have to suffer from being 350 miles from Microsoft/Apple stores and have a lame backwater Best Buy to boot...I think they got in the Surface Pro 6 the other day, or was that a 5 (that's a bit of an exaggeration)...

Chris_Kez likes this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Given some of Microsoft’s prior flops like Windows RT.....I wouldn’t be too surprised if they didn’t produce that many Pro X’s to begin with. Like testing the water before opening the production flood gates. And given the performance concerns with WOA.....it would be wise for them to tread cautiously...>>

I've been thinking about the Pro X for a while now and, as I stare at the Pro 7, I'm wondering if Microsoft is making a mistake by prematurely going all in on the Pro X and effectively leaving the x86 Pro out to dry. @darkmagistric 's remarks mirror a lot of my own thinking. It seems like a huge bet to hope that the developer community will support WoA after the problematic experiences with WinRT and WinMobile. Even if big money is spent on enticements, will the developers just create apps and then abandon them (as noted by @dstrauss )? And as noted by another forum member, the OS usage in in other parts of the world is quite different that in the US. And many legacy 64-bit x86 applications will never get re-ported to native 64-bit ARM. This seems like a lot to overcome...

I guess we'll see, and I wish Microsoft good luck, but the pragmatist in me sees problems looming...

Chris_Kez, dstrauss and darkmagistric like this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

9. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

People will still buy the Pro 7, with even MORE people buying the Pro 8 once it hits with all of the aesthetics of the Pro X. I'll probably buy a Pro X, as well, but only once it hits around £450 on eBay.

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just an interesting idea for any prospective SPX owners out there...

There are some reports on Reddit[2] of Wacom tablets working well with cloud peripheral services like Virtual Here, and USB over IP.

That theoretically means streaming PC services like ShadowPC (32bit client), should also be able to deliver low-latency drawing for x86 64bit apps (and any 32bit apps that don't emulate well) on the SQ1.

User tests show input latency between ~50-90ms @2:47:

[​IMG]

One big caveat is ShadowPC uses an unencrypted proprietary protocol (they promise SSL encryption 'soon'), but for non-sensitive data, this route might be worth checking out for those dissatisfied with WOA performance.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    neongolden and Chris_Kez like this.