Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. instred

instred Pen Pal - Newbie

The Best Buy by me had them out on Sunday afternoon.

2. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dam I should go to bestbuy earlier then, dam :(

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The IAF could be simply the nib the pen uses by default. The current Surface Pens use a HB nib by default, however both the Pro 4 and Pro 5 pen tip kits have a conical 2H nib that I find has significantly lower IAF then the stock HB nib. The Nib on the slim pen looks very similar and might very well be the same nib I’m referring to. I’m going to try and get to my local MS store or Best Buy Tomorrow and see if the nibs can be removed.

as for the eraser.....would you say it feels more like the current Surface Pens eraser, or more like a Wacom/Cintiq eraser? And was eraser pressurized?

and even though I know it won’t charge, for those of us considering a slim pen purchase to use for our existing Surfaces.....since the slim pen still technically attaches to Pro ax’s keyboard dock.....would it magnetically attach the side of the current Surface Pro? Despite the size of the pen being somewhat problematical....it would still be nice to have it do that when carrying the device around.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...would you say it feels more like the current Surface Pens eraser, or...>>

Probably like the current Surface Pro pen as it is similarly "grippy"...

<<..since the slim pen still technically attaches to Pro ax’s keyboard dock.....would it magnetically attach the side of the current Surface Pro?..>>

It didn't occur to me to try that. All I can say is that the Slim Pen nested firmly in its keyboard cradle. It took a bit of focused effort to get it out...

5. sitoudien

sitoudien Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone speak Italian? This YouTuber has a review unit and did a hands on. I'm dying for a review.

6. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would love to see benchmarks since they have demo units now

7. darkmagistric

Well, my local Best Buy as well did have a Pro X on the store floor. But they did not have the slim pen unfortunately. :( given how much further out the Microsoft Store is....I'll hold off on seeing the Silm Pen for now (hard to justify 30 min drive just to play with a pen)

Now as for the Pro X.....I am in love with the size and form factor. The 2:3 aspect ratio looks nearly 3:4 given the bezel reduction. And the Pro X itself is pretty much as thick as the keyboard cover. The Surface Pro 7 looks utterly ancient and outdated sitting right next to the Pro X. Seeing it in person.....I'm all the more confident Microsoft might bring that style refresh to the rest of the Surface line sooner then later (lets hope for June)

One thing I can confirm for....a personal pet peeve of mine with detachable keyboard/Kickstand devices. Much like the Surface Pros.....the keyboard cover can indeed be put on in reverse. The Surface Go's keyboard never really fit correctly on reverse, and the Galaxy Book 2's magnets made putting its keyboard cover on in reverse impossible. The Pro X fits on perfectly reverse, so I am happy for that at least.

JoeS likes this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The Surface Pro 7 looks utterly ancient and outdated sitting right next to the Pro X...>>

After working with the Pro 7 for the last day, I can't agree. The form factor of the Pro has become standardized, and rightly so. For what it does, and the way it does it, its design is pretty finely tuned...

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I have to agree with @darkmagistric on this one (and I haven't even seen it in person yet):
    • SP7 porky bezels
    • SP7 smaller screen (because of bullet point 1)
    • No LTE
    • Generally "chunkier"
    • No place to safely store the pen
    • Non-rechargeable pen

10. darkmagistric

You are right in the sense of it having a finely turned form factor, but both the Pro X and the Pro 7 have the same form factor, the Pro X didn’t have to make any compromise on that front. Well expect for the loss of the micro SD card slot....but having a serviceable hatch to access the SSD is a satisfactory engineering trade off in my book.

however....the Pro X’s thinner bezels, larger appearing screen, rounded edges and thinner chassis all visually make it very appealing and 2019 trendy modern. Where as the Pro 7 is the 2014 fashion chic style that’s overstayed it’s welcome. They really should have spiced up the Pro 7 more visually....just giving it more rounded edges like in the GO, and Pro X, and slimmer bezels like the Pro X would make it look far more appealing. Especially in regards to the bezel size....even though they both have the same 2:3 aspect ratio.....looking at them side by side....the bezel change creates a visual illusion and looks more like comparing 3:4 to 16:9

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    desertlap likes this.