Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...So all in all, tablets win...>>

...And I suppose that the big picture of the pretty girl had absolutely nothing to do with swaying your audience? Nothing at all...!!!

Marty and daddyfish like this.
  2. daddyfish

daddyfish Pen Pal - Newbie

, the specific need is mostly whether you want a touchscreen or not. Personally often when I now use a laptop or monitor without a touchscreen I find it lacks the touch input (and I have some friends who feel the same). My experience is also that 360-hinge/convertible laptops are generally build stronger than conventional laptops (stronger hinge to allow the 360 degree rotation). The battery life is about the same as well as the keyoard, ports and touchpad. (could be different for business laptops, I have only experience with consumer laptops)

3. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Same here. I still think a Surface Mini would have been a really nice device. HP also had an 8" Note which would have been nice except for the fact it was the slowest device I think I ever used.

I didn't see anything from MS that will make me ditch the Galaxy Book2 in the near future. See what Samsung comes up with for a Book3.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the specific need is mostly whether you want a touchscreen or not...>>

...I think this is a good point; touch capability is now so ingrained in me that I can't tell you how many times I sit at my work computer, poking the screen and wondering why nothing is happening...!

dstrauss likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It was only picture I could find of somebody hugging their clipboard close. I swear! :D

6. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

The customer service I talked to at T-Mobile says I wouldn't be able to merge it with my unlimited cell phone data plan. I'd have to pay an extra $10-25 per month for limited data, I think it was between 1 and 6gbs which isn't going to be enough.

Are there any providers out there that do unlimited LTE for tablets? This may have just ruled the SPX out for me, crazily enough. My other problem is my budget is basically $55/month for anything LTE/phone related. I feel that I need unlimited data but I'm basically not willing to pay a dollar more.

I was getting more convinced by the day that I was going to go with this but now I think I'm just going to end up paying out for the next MSP16. Laziness (virtually no setup time in the transition, nothing new to get used to), familiarity, etc...

I got my hopes up that I was going to be able to waltz in and pay them $10-20 for a Sim card, slap it into the SPX, and never have to worry much about wifi again unless I absolutely needed the highest speed on hand. That would have been a perk worth enduring the uncertainties of ARM for.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  7. lafester

lafester Scribbler - Standard Member

Google fi includes free data Sims. Not sure if they are the best for heavy data users but it is pretty easy these days to switch carriers.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

8. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, yeah, it looks like that data plan won't be too good for me, as it seems to cost north of $70 unless you're part of a group, but that's ok. As time goes on and these types of tablets become more common, maybe more policies will be rolled out and/or the cost will go down in general.

Back to being hyped about this slate... I keep hearing great things about the pen although one article stated they think the tip can't be removed. Surely that's incorrect. I'm already thinking about screen protectors...

9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Lots of people seem to experience this, but not once have I ever wanted to touch my laptop or desktops screen, and I use touchscreens a lot otherwise.
    a) I just don't feel the urge and think it would be uncomfortable and inaccurate and b) why would I want to make my screen all mucky?; my touchscreen devices are enough of a handful already!

10. daddyfish

daddyfish Pen Pal - Newbie

, well to give some examples:
    - I am discussing some sheets/data with large graphs with co-workers and want to zoom in and out a lot to show them small details in different places. It just easier to use touch input than a touchpad or mouse.
    - When I want to quickly help someone it would sometimes be easiest to poke the screen or scroll through a window (wiping fingerprint away is done quickly anyway).
    - When I want to draw something on my own monitor(s) to visualize something.
    - Sometimes I like touch more purely because it is absolute instead of relative (when mouse clicks are far apart).

ps: I think touching a monitor screen feels more natural if you have used laptops with a touchscreen and not only phones or tablets (they differ more in interface and workflow).

JoeS, Marty and dstrauss like this.