Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Right, Android native on WOA would make the Pro X, and 7cx devices that is not that powerful for x86 emulator a lot more useful. Android app have gone a long way, and some Art app developers have already started plan to make their app keyboard-friendly for Windows11.

Perhaps they could make a separate Windows edition with an entirely different emulator for the ARM based windows, like.. Windows 11X ;)

daddyfish and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Perhaps they could make a separate Windows edition with an entirely different emulator for the ARM based windows, like.. Windows 11X...>>

Trouble maker...

sonichedgehog360 and Bishop like this.
  3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There seems to already be ARM64-specific binaries in the msixbundle file installed by the Windows Subsystem for Android. I wonder if maybe it's possible they're using ARM64EC stuff (similar to Office) so that it's partial ARM64 and partial emulation.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Based on what we have seen with our own apps, that seems to be the case. Our lead developer has a call with MS this week to hopefully get some clarity on all this.

The one response we did get from MS so far was that they wanted to get the X86 version out there to give developers time to get ready before official release. And of course there are far more x86 systems out there than WOA. They also seem to imply that native WOA was coming, just not ready yet.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Quick update on fully native Android support for WOA systems including the Pro X. MS told us that it is on it's way, just behind the X86 versions. Right now apparently it is "pre alpha" and rough enough that it's only being tested internally in MS.

Unclear if it will catch up with the X86 version in time for formal release or will come later.

On the positive side, the speed (when it doesn't crash) is supposed to be impressive and better than X86

Eltos, sonichedgehog360 and Bishop like this.
  6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

9 years ago today I received my first Windows on ARM device :) [​IMG]

Chris_Kez, Eltos, JoeS and 2 others like this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Coincidentally, I cleaned out part of my tech closet over the last weekend and I discarded my first Windows on ARM device...!

Chris_Kez, Eltos, jnjroach and 2 others like this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Was it the HTC Tornado?

upload_2021-10-26_17-20-30.png

Eltos likes this.
  9. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

You know that could be really cool. It would really fill the gap with missing apps due to ARM if we have Android Apps.

10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So over two years from the launch of the Pro X, and over three years since Windows on ARM first launched... and they're finally getting around to porting OneDrive to ARM-native. Well, in preview this year at least. o_O

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...-experiences-in-microsoft-365-at/ba-p/2902614

At least it's coming eventually I guess? That'll just leaves "Your Phone" and the Dolby Audio Extensions (DAX3API.exe) as the only non-native ARM components on a Pro X out of the box. Technically I guess Office also, but that's at least partly native code. And hey, maybe they'll get around to a new version of Skype (which did support ARM, then didn't support ARM, then did support ARM, and now is back to not supporting ARM) or the Xbox app for ARM sometime in the next decade. Or maybe Microsoft Whiteboard's awful new version will be ARM at some point.

JoeS likes this.