Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

BTW: Specifically for the Pro X, those that own one should put themselves at the head of the line to get Windows 11.

Based on our tests, there are significant improvements across the board in X86 emulation and with native apps, a nice bump in battery life.

Much bigger "jump" than say for a Surface Pro 7.

OTOH, I'd hold off on older WOA systems such as the Galaxy Book 2 until they fix some serious bugs (sleep/wake, memory management) and doubly so if you have say one of the Lenovo's that have only 4GB RAM

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...there are significant improvements across the board...>>

Specifically why I'm still holding onto my Pro X; I keep hoping that Microsoft will (finally) get behind the platform and provide the support and improvements that they implied they would when they introduced it. Having said that, though, I'll wait for the release through Windows Update. I have a funny feeling that there may some things in the code that still need to be... adjusted...

desertlap and Bishop like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I still don't get WOA guys - with the SP8 improving so much (form factor, power, power efficiency), with the exception of poor LTE (especially 5g) support, what is the real usefulness of WOA? Will they be able to build an 11" WOA Go at 1.1# and 10 hour battery life? I'd bet against that all day.

4. desertlap

Probably smart as for instance there are some know issues with the most recent HP Spectre and Envy systems that they don't have a solution fo so far.

When we mentioned what we had found with the Pro X and 11 to MS they said that that it will be among the first devices to get it when the update is more broadly available.

And this is one update (with the Pro X anyway) where you can notice an improvement right away, everything is just "crisper" for lack of a better term

Steve S likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Me neither, and I am one!! :p I will say that they "place your finger on the FP reader and it's on" makes the Book 2 feel really responsive. I agree that the SP8 makes any of the existing WOA Surface clones a hard sell. They totally can make a compact, slim, lightweight, long-battery life irresistibly cute and yet amazingly capable Surface mini, and yet it seems like they're not interested. Here's hoping they surprise us at some point.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

well, look at how much the Laptop Studio has been generally knocked, because of medium range specs that under bench the M1, and it’s form factor and thickness. I feel WOA is still ultimately the future to one day get that perfect nirvana of high performance and great battery life in a super thin and light package, but that day is still nowhere in sight.

7. desertlap

1. Battery life- running ARM native Apps and 11, the Pro X blows the Pro 8 out of the water battery life wise (and even more "instant" instant on)

2. Quiet- no fans in the Pro X as they aren't needed

3. Thinner and easier to hold. Now that both the 8 and x are the same screen size, the 8 feels like a bit of a brick in hand compared to the X at least to me and my engineers

and....MS could screw it up, but Android apps are likely to run a bit better on the Pro X. I say that with a note of skepticism though as the same should apply to some of the new ARM chromebooks, when in fact it's the opposite.

daddyfish, Steve S, JoeS and 2 others like this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

The dream of running always connected full Windows on an iPad form factor with real 10 hour battery life. Plus the pressure it keeps on Intel.

Chris_Kez, Steve S and dstrauss like this.
  9. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

And what @desertlap said.

desertlap likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

There is the rub - I still don't see the developer herd rushing to WOA, and maybe they have no excuse, but that is the sticking point when you compare SP8 vs SPX, and to my old eyes comes out in favor of Intel (still). I'm more wrong than right in my tech decisions and choices, so I'll stop my anti-WOA drumbeat. Perhaps MS' intense focus on cloud services (Windows 365) will make the choice of platform irrelevant in a few years.

bloodycape and JoeS like this.