Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Oh awesome, because I open that app pretty frequently, and dear lord is that slow on a Galaxy Book 2.

Edit: "Unfortunately alpha/beta releases are not currently available for the Microsoft Store version of the app". I'll wait for the official Store version release. Still good to know that an ARM version is on the way.

Bishop likes this.
  2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, I have the Store version installed too. But I'll be using the ARM64 portable version in the meantime.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So, in anticipation of next weeks announcements, I just started googling to see if there were any updates regarding the long overdue release of Photoshop for WOA, and much to my surprise, Adobe has seemingly fully ported over Photoshop to WOA this past May. Given how much of a game changer that program alone is to have on WOA, I'm kind of surprised no one's really talked about it on this board. Can any Pro X user confirm how well native WOA Photoshop works? I still have concerns with jumping to the WOA arm camp, but Photoshop on its own does make that a much easier jump.

JoeS likes this.
  4. jhoff80

Honestly, I gave up paying the monthly subscription for Photoshop about 3 or 4 years ago. One, I discovered that Affinity Photo could do it all without a subscription, and two, I just don't have the need to do that much photo editing any more.

So it's great that Adobe ported Photoshop, but in the meantime I'm really waiting for Affinity (the developers of which have said that it's in their plans).

In the meantime though I just stick to Paint.NET.

I have seen mixed reviews of ARM Photoshop around the internet, but have no direct experience with it myself (and let's be real, there's only me and like maybe four others on this board who use a Pro X :D).

5. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Sadly, still awaiting a native ARM port of Paint.Net too.

6. jhoff80

Paint.NET at least has an ARM-native preview though. It's worked perfectly here.

Edit: And the developer is no longer calling it an alpha but a beta. Sounds like the release is not that far off.

https://twitter.com/rickbrewPDN/status/1438649509521747974

7. jhoff80

Bishop likes this.
  8. JoeS

"New: ARM64 is now natively supported, which improves performance on devices such as the Surface Pro X."

Excellent! Now I'll be able to edit an image on my Galaxy Book 2 without the 20-second load time of the currently installed Paint.NET version. :cool:

Steve S and Bishop like this.
  9. JoeS

Should we even bother to make a new thread for the new Pro X model? All they did was 'remove LTE' and drop the price a bit. I guess I answered my own question!

dellaster and Bronsky like this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I would suggest "no." We have the same situation with the Surface Studio; the same thread suffices for both Studio and Studio 2...

sonichedgehog360 and Bishop like this.