Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...wait that keyboard is 1 pound...>>

...Just weighed the keyboard for my New Surface Pro. 10.6 ounces. My nSP pen weighs 0.7 ounces, so I would guess that the Pro X keyboard plus pen weighs no more than 12 ounces.

Still pretty close to a pound, though...!

dstrauss likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Can anyone explain why the OEMS are Luke warm to making detachables?..>>

...It may be that the market for detachables is relatively small so that only a few models are adequate to fulfill it. Surface probably dominates the higher end of that market while Dell models suffice for the lower end...?

And let's face it; for general use, the laptop form factor is almost perfect...

desertlap and dstrauss like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That. With the exception of writing/drawing, the laptop form factor is so much more versatile than a detachable. I've had quite a few (original Surface; Surface Pro; Samsung Galaxy Book 12; Surface Go; ThinkPad X1 Tablet; HP Elite X2) - all good with a flat table/desk, but all lacking when you really needed to use them in a crowded space or on your lap (including in a car even with a lap board). Even as writing tablets, they are all a little too big - the best size I've ever had in that regard was the Asus VivoTab Note 8 with a Wacom EMR pen in a silo in the frame.

The Surface Go comes the closest - especially with its kickstand fully reclined - a very good writing angle (yes - flat on a table is rarely a good writing angle for note taking on a tablet unlike writing on a yellow pad).

This is why I hold out high hopes for the Surface Neo clones. IF they had a small kickstand and a siloed pen (preferably an S-Pen but even the Lenovo stick with the X1 Yoga model) they could be the perfect companion device for a solid 2-in-1 ultrabook.

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That matches what we see in our customers and what we recommend as well. Unless you have a specific need for a 2 in 1 or tablet type device you are generally better served with a conventional laptop.

You get a generally better keyboard and trackpad, more ports, often longer battery life and you can hit a lower price point if that's a factor. That being said once you reach the $1k price point, your decision matrix changes. Generally we say that it's a choice between raw performance and flexibility.

PS: Dell's low end detachable systems are not something we would recommend unless they simply must have that form factor above all else and cant swing a surface or even the couple of HP devices

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  5. sitoudien

sitoudien Pen Pal - Newbie

For me a detachable would be the most ideal tablet hybrid. I do not have any tablets. This would be a my primary driver and a total replacement for a aging pc. I think for most people a tablet detachable is a second device or accessory. When researching for a detachable I spec devices that can replace a pc. Before the SPX announcement, the best detachable on paper was Acer Switch 7. It was beast and a SP6 killer. However, execution was flawed and was not widely sold. The SPX threw down the gauntlet and the competition just yawned.

daddyfish likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Interesting. The main reason for that is probably the tablet thickness, making it uncomfortable to have your hand lay on the edge. I wonder if the Pro X has reached a thinness where "flat on the table" with keyboard detached becomes an acceptable note taking mode.

7. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hmm I write on my IPP 11 all the time like a notebook and it’s fine....

8. dstrauss

For me , it's thickness, hard to see at an acute angle, and overhead lighting. I have always propped them up 20-30 degrees to make writing and viewing easier.

WillAdams likes this.
  9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Let me just say, I completely disagree with both of you. :D

Convertible > Clamshell

Especially with today's ultra-sleek chassis, like the new XPS 13 7930:

If we are talking purely the versatility of form-factor, convertible wins.

Now when comparing to detachables, the equation is trickier, but I would still say detachables have the edge.

Traveling in crowded subways in Japan, I'm often holding my tablet cradled close:

[​IMG]

A slate is usable in this position; a laptop is not.

When sitting down without a table, the laptop requires both hands to stabilize on your thighs. But a slate can be held in one hand.

Laptops beat slates for typing, but that advantage is canceled by slates being better for writing/touch input.

So all in all, tablets win. :D

daddyfish likes this.
  10. dstrauss

Big surprise. :rolleyes:

I’ll agree with you on convertibles being pretty good both ways, and if you prefer tablets, that’s great.

But I don’t think I’d want to edit a pleading on my lap in your tablet mode.