Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Thank you @violajack, @jhoff80, @desertlap, @jnjroach & @Bergman.

Anyone tried Teams on it? I have to travel a good bit over the next couple of weeks and will need it and O365 as THE daily driver. Teams is the last thing keeping me from taking the plunge.

[EDIT: 7/6 4:37PM EDT]

Bag it. I'm taking the plunge. It's downloading now.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    JoeS likes this.
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Bishop likes this.
  3. Bergman

Bergman Scribbler - Standard Member

I have been using it with my surface dock version 1, ms Bluetooth mouse and ms Bluetooth keyboard, along with a 4k monitor and so far everything is fine. Office apps and Teams is a staple in our company and no problems there either. I actually had a 4 hour customer consulting engagement today with screen sharing on teams (assisting them in turning off ADFS and setting up Azure AD sync and SSO) with no issues at all.

jnjroach and Bishop like this.
  4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For what it's worth, on Windows 11 22000.65 I did the same test.

Definitely an improvement (also for what it's worth, the below is on battery. I can't remember if I was plugged in when I previously tested. And it's the Windows version, not sure why the log analyzer detects Android.)

I temporarily cancelled my subscription while the summer weather is here, so I haven't tested it for a ride myself. However, from a subjective perspective, it looked tolerable. I mean don't get me wrong, the graphics looked pretty bad and the framerate was real low, but this seems usable in a pinch. Wouldn't want it to be my primary device for this purpose, but still. This is an x64-only app, that runs in OpenGL only. Both x64 and OpenGL are being run through emulation. (The first peak is the menu, filtering that out it's more accurate to say that the game itself ran from 5-14fps with an average of 9fps).

upload_2021-7-9_14-21-41.png

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Windows Insider Dev Channel Surface Pro X users received a System Hardware Update dated July 13, 2021, this morning. It's not firmware, but a driver update. Still looking for what was updated,

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Windows Central has a lengthy article on whether Microsoft should get into the chip game, since Apple and Google are clearly there. My answer is NO for some very simple reasons:
    • Would they ever be able to meet partner demands, or just for their own devices?
    • That leads to lawsuit number 1 - forking Windows to their specific benefit.
    • All signs are they have become a cloud services vendor - how do they benefit.
    • Before you answer that one, see the second bullet point.
    • It took Apple, with nearly unlimited resources and total control over their devices from the iPhone 6 to last October to launch - you want a MS chip device before 2030?

dceggert likes this.
  7. jhoff80

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Had to chuckle that BOTH MS and Intel stock prices were down on the news...

Bishop likes this.
  9. jhoff80

daddyfish likes this.
  10. jhoff80

Bishop and JoeS like this.