Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bergman

Bergman Scribbler - Standard Member

OK thanks =. I did get an update late yesterday which took me to version 2106 with this version:
    Microsoft® Word for Microsoft 365 MSO (16.0.14131.20278) 64-bit

That also changed the tasks manager to read the apps as ARM64 (x64 compatible) instead of just x64 which they were showing before. Still no fluent design on any Office apps but they do all work just fine. Seems to be for the most part stable for me here. This morning after taking it out of sleep mode (I don't use hibernate at all) the only thing I noticed is the screen brightness set itself to 50% on its own.

Also surprise surprise I can now run Adobe Acrobat DC which is crucial to my business and the main reason I set this device aside. Granted its running the x86 version but it would not even install before so I am assuming they did something to the x86 emulation here as well.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Even though I don't love W11 in general, I decided to upgrade my Pro X to test out the ARM64 / x64 thing again with the new changes.

Didn't get much time to play around with it yet, but Word (ARM64 / x64 compatible) was really fast as expected. Visio (x64 - apparently not using the new features yet) was slow as all hell. The x86 version worked better.

JoeS likes this.
  3. jhoff80

Project is also not ARM64 (x64 compatible), it's just pure x64. In other words it also runs poorly.

Xbox app is also still x64-only and the Game Pass stuff doesn't work. Maybe whenever the new version that comes out with cloud gaming built in, maybe then it'll have ARM64 support. Otherwise it's a huge miss by Microsoft.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Thanks for stopping in with your impressions. It's really helping keeping me off the Insider Program on my Galaxy Book 2, which is more than 30% slower than the Pro X iirc. :thumbsup:

5. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Ok @jhoff80, @Bergman, @jnjroach, et. al. You've piqued my interest in putting W11 on my SPX. Any updates on your experience going on a week?

Thanks in advance

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

From my side everything seems to be working as well as it has the Dev Ring, occasional UI glitch, and occasionally auto-rotate stops working. I've installed the Office Insider ARM64 build and I'm able to handle larger Excel datasets and the 800MB PowerPoint decks our creative team loves to build.

Bishop and desertlap like this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'd add that W11 on all the WOA devices we have (GB 2, SPX, HP Elite) seems to be quite stable and definitely confers some noticeable performance improvements especially with O365

dstrauss and jnjroach like this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

BTW: If you want the fastest Android app performance, WOA/Windows 11 is the way to go, roughly around 35% faster than on for comparison an I5 11th gen surface pro

9. jhoff80

I still don't like the UI changes for tablets, but it's been pretty rock solid stability wise for me.

bloodycape and Bishop like this.
  10. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Windows 11 is doing well on my SPX 1 here too.

dstrauss likes this.