Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Surface Pro X? It's what Panos Panay wished the surface pro line looked like but now we have the technology and experience to pull off this slim bezel, large screen experience.

The surface pro form factor is amazing, full windows can be convenient, and magnetics are fun. Still, I admit I actually have never been interested in the surface pro form factor because:

1) The magnetic keyboard is amazing, but if you think about it, there's really only two scenarios: you have a desk or you have your lap. A regular keyboard still beats it in both cases. The magnetic keyboard is still the way forward for tablets though because of how easy it is to snap on / off but frankly if I have a desk or my lap, then I have a laptop with me.

2) The surface pro is so much slower in practice than say the ipad pro.

3) I have never really wanted full windows in a tablet form factor THAT badly, though its nifty. I blame the app store.

4) There's one thing though and that is that ipads freaking nerf my youtube video quality to 360p and doesn't let me watch them in higher res. What's the use of having such a gorgeous ipad screen and so much power in the ipad pro 11 if I can't use its full potential on 90% of the videos I ever watch on it? Its cancer- anyone know a way to force an ipad to play a youtube vid in higher res, even if it needs to wait /load/buffer?

A magnetic keyboard with touchpad is very clearly a great thing. I don't think apple would necessarily do this though. If they made a magnetic keyboard with a touchpad (surface pro style), they would do their damnest to have that touchpad try to at least get closer to their usual touchpad standards, which is not easy. And I'm not sure if the magnets/functionality of the keyboard also require the tablet to be heavier so maybe apple will just flat out not bother with kickstands/surface pro style keyboards despite their usefulness.

An ipad, even if heavier, if it had a kickstand + magnetic keyboard/touchpad combo like the surface pro would be pretty beautiful. Ergonomically, it just makes sense. Unfortunately, it doesn't make sense for weight necessarily? Is that the only issue?

2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I checked and MobileSheets supports ARM architecture through the Windows store. That's really my only *need* app to justify this. The problem is, my iPad Pro 12.9 is really fine unless the battery drains too fast in a rehearsal. It seems to really go down sometimes, and sometimes it's fine. Usually, it's related to murphy's law and whether or not I've packed the battery pack. And I used the iPad to fill in some forms today, and man, the pencil is nice. I remember being so frustrated with the performance of the pen on surface hardware in the context I use it in that I'm really wondering if I want to take my chances with a first gen big ARM based surface. We're moving at the end of the month though, so I'll be able to wait until early reviews trickle out before I decide. We'll be on the road during the release.

JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  3. daddyfish

daddyfish Pen Pal - Newbie

, 1) I like typing on my sp1 keyboard slightly more than on my laptop; better click and not squishy. Besides, a magnetic keyboard connection will degrade slower than a physical keyboard that you have to connect to the screen with some force (dell venue like, in my own experience).

2) I would guess the SP7 is faster in raw power than the ipadpro but that Windows is not so smooth and has more background processes. IIirc stuff like Geekbench is not comparable since the cpu architecture is different. There probably is some program with a meaningful benchmark (not specifically optimized), maybe Blender or Handbrake?

3) personally prefer w10 even on tablets, I find ios ui and file managment annoying on ipads and don't like the closed garden (no steam, no gog, no legacy support). I also find it easier to manage my privacy on w10 (oshutup10 is perfect).

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Was at my local Best Buy this afternoon; the Microsoft rep came in yesterday and swapped in the new Laptop 3 and Pro7. The BestBuy rep said that the Pro X would go on display in their store on the 28th of October, so I'm guessing that the Microsoft stores might get their demo units a few days earlier?

As an aside, the Laptop 3 doesn't get much attention here, but I looked at several of them and they are really polished and attractive...!

neongolden likes this.
  5. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

It's true. File managment is annoying on ipads. I have never understood this, though- why does Apple think an easy file system is not worth making? God knows

If someone gave you a choice between the x1 yoga and the surface pro x, what would you choose and why?

daddyfish likes this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was quite impressed with the Laptop 3 as well. Its still technically the most boring Surface....but it does look really nice physically....ditching the Alcantara (and even the Magnesium) did it wonders.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Its easy to understand....a closed/confusing file system dissuades piracy. Make it annoyingly difficult to throw Movies, MP3's, Comics, & Books onto an iPad...eventually some people will cave and buy (or even rebuy) the content.

WillAdams likes this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

And that explains WHY there is no Surface Go 2 right now. The SQ1 is unproven right now; we know there will be software compatibility issues; and costs 2-3 times as much as the Go. No way Panos and company want to put out a Y class Go right now. In fact, taking a harrd look at that comparison, one has to wonder if potential battery life superiority may be the X's only major advantage (well, the screen is a slam dunk, but a 50% weight increase).

You are right, the "long in the tooth" Go comes out looking pretty good in comparison.

PS - isn't it impressive how good of spokesmen the Windows Central crew are for Microsoft - kind of like spin cycle dryers...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

PSA - just saw that purchases of the Surface Pro X qualify for the extended free return period of January 31, 2020. If you are tempted to do that, however, I highly recommend buying the Complete Care package in case of accidental damage - it has to be returned in "like new" condition.

AND NO (for those in Steve's pool) - I'm not straying from the ThinkPad X1 Yoga - even if I had paid retail, the value proposition of the i7, ports, and 2TB ssd just swamps the SPX. It's not even a "sour grapes" moment for not waiting for the SPX - in my bag there is a disadvantage of 1.4" in width, 0.12" thickness (counting the SPX keyboard), and between 6-8 oz of weight. I'm good. Just wish I had @Bronsky's discipline to go Note 10 and put an end to the three device shuffle.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019