Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<... if I were a casual user and prospective customer and saw this...I would run away and never look back...>>

...There are sure to be teething pains as Microsoft attempts to transition to a more mobile architecture. We can only wait and see how chilling these types of limitations are. If Microsoft is able to collect a decent set of applications for the Store, the transition may not be as difficult as this article suggests. Consumer education will also be an important element...

daddyfish likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Not real appetizing by the sounds of that review

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Right? “No mom, listen: using WOW64, an x86 emulator, ARM chips can run 32-bit apps, but not all 64-bit versions. The Surface Pro X can natively run 64-bit apps but only those that have been ported to ARM64, an evolution of ARM that supports 64-bit processing. How are you not getting this?!

dstrauss likes this.
  4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

'Uh so, so now can you explain this "USB-C" thingy? What can I plug into this?' :D

5. dstrauss

Lord, you two are a whinny pair of curmudgeons......welcome to the club! :D

JoeS likes this.
  6. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe it's because that they use anodized aluminum on the Pro X instead of VaporMag on the Pro?

Here is a past reference regarding the original Surface RT -
    If it is indeed the material of the casing that leads to the weight gain, then why Microsoft chooses aluminum this time for their shining new toys (don't they want lighter devices)? It could also be that the battery is heavier than the motherboard on the same footprint (assuming the Pro X has a larger battery)?

daddyfish likes this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This discussion here and on the other tech sites reminds me of a joke I heard when I first started working for a technology company.

Q: What's the difference between a technology salesman and a used car salesman?
    A: The used car salesman knows he's lying
    :)

Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

9. dstrauss

10. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, if they use alum., perhaps they are doing it because black on magnesium scratches off more easily? A more energy dense battery could indeed be the case, though usually with such advantages there are also disadvantages in batteryland. I was also thinking that perhaps they changed something to the screen to make it more durable or such. (though this just reminded me that one would expect the weight to be even lower since it does not need magnets anymore for the pen because of the keyboard pen cradle)