Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Steve S Thank you so much, that type of information and detail is more helpful than most realize. Companies still do a poor job around updates in disclosing whats's fixed or changed and with the changes what are the downstream effects.

On our lab Pro X that we just updated, the update wasn't offered but we initiated it via the Windows Media creation tool. It's also the first system we have updated in our lab

It also is called H2 on this system . Apparently there may have been a last minute name change.
    https://www.computerworld.com/artic...-its-second-update-rerun-windows-10-20h2.html

Also, the unit went through a somewhat truncated version of what you get with a brand new system as af as setup and asking if you want o link your phone.

And last but not least, it completely forgot all the saved WiFi credentialso_O

Things like this make my groups job lots of fun....

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Have you ever noticed the similarity of operating system updates to

[​IMG]

Bishop and Bronsky like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Wasn't the whole idea of going ARM to avoid that stuff?

dstrauss likes this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Got the update on my good old Surface Pro 2 (not on the 3 yet though) and after instillation it kindly offers me a discount for the Microsoft 365 family version (obviously it doesn't know me) and I swear that in the next iteration you won't be able to pass that screen without a purchase.

dstrauss and Chris_Kez like this.
  5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Chris_Kez likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Chris_Kez, Bishop and Bronsky like this.
  7. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Obligatory Trogdor with his beefy ARM!

trogdor.gif

Chris_Kez and jnjroach like this.
  8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

CNET's review of the updated Pro X (Dan Ackerman) - surprisingly hopeful

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@jnjroach . We haven't had a look at the newest units with SQ2 chips yet. That being said, do you have any feel for how much of the improvement is due the fairly substantial improvements in the H2 windows update which would benefit both the older and newer Pro X, versus the benefits of the SQ2?

PS: I'm also wondering how much the higher RAM configuration plays in to the comparisons. If memory serves, the review units for the original Pro X were the 8GB RAM configurations whereas the new units have 16GB. And there is tons of evidence that x86 emulation benefits significantly from more RAM.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  10. Bergman

Bergman Scribbler - Standard Member

while appreciate Dan being a bit more positive, I have to cringe at two assumptions in this review. First he said last years model was slow...... WHAT? I am here running my Pro X on a 4k monitor using Outlook, Teams, Adobe PDF suite and edge all running at the same time with zero issues. So honestly you can call the X whatever you want but slow is not one of them. Second he is assuming the ARM based Windows devices will be better in the future simply because Apple is moving to ARM. Come on.... The IT world does not revolve around Cupertino. In fact, if you lift the blindfold off the consumer world and join us here in the business world, we have been heavily Microsoft for decades here, and the only thing Apple is the phone.

Otherwise it is good to see some positivity coming out for a change so thanks for posting.

jnjroach, desertlap and jhoff80 like this.