Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah good move. The website seems pretty clear. The text and the pictures agree perfectly: if you want the pen slot, get the bundle.

metalsiren likes this.
  2. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I just had to say I'm looking extremely hard into getting this for art as my daily driver. Maybe you'll weigh in here shortly though and shut me down ;)

I'm wondering if I could get away with painting in CSP EX 32-bit on this and not really notice any meaningful difference. I paint high res but I don't really go crazy with layers at all... in fact, you might call me out as a scrub, but I have a tendency to "flatten" the image when I start to get up near 20 layers. In fact, I only ever really create a new layer for whatever subtle effect it has on my preferred brushes... that's basically how intuitive I am. I currently do nothing special with masks or anything else. I only ever strive for the most naturalistic feel. I don't even plan ahead in case I want to cut some object and move it slightly, as you sometimes see people doing. If I feel like I've screwed up, I just correct it entirely by hand.

I'm also wondering how far I could go using the LTE capability with Shadow PCs for anything 3d. I think I've been debunked on the tenability of this in the past but I'm not sure anyone's really had the opportunity to try. With 3d, I'm only really wanting to specialize in getting good at texture mapping some beautiful hand-drawn assets, so in that regard, I may scarcely have to worry about things like how the pen-tablet drivers could conceivably behave on the Shadow app (I have very little doubt things would get dicey). If I try to keep operations limited to traditional keyboard and mouse stuff, it will probably work out great.

In the end, I'll probably get cold feet on the whole thing and, again, wait for HP to update the Zbook X2 just to be safe.

One last thing: The new pen looks pretty cool, but I just found out today there's a pen called the Raphael 5 that is apparently the bee's knees for Ntriggers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...1VKV2&linkId=dcc7414dfd88e32976c16d99a9a312d1

Marty likes this.
  3. djas

djas Graffiti User

<crying in his Surface 3> lol

4. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

I love how they made such a big deal about the weight of the device at the event; showing the surface pro form factor being shaved off revealing the Pro X underneath it; but it is literally the same weight as Surface Pro 7... LOL

Bronsky, dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  5. JoeS

I know right..

THE LIGHTEST SURFACE PRO EVER
    by a difference of 2%

6. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, indeed, the screen is quite a bit bigger but even if you take that into account the weight difference is not actually so much. I wonder why it is not lighter actually. Even while making it thinner does not save you much on materials I would still expect them choosing Arm over Intel would save some weight since more is integrated with Arm and there are less ports. Bigger battery perhaps though that does not seem to fit well in the thinner design.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If the ARM core is really that much more efficient than Intel, you shouldn't really need a larger battery.

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

ave to wonder once you drive SQ1 to 7w if you aren't losing a good bit of that "battery superiority"? Perhaps in the future, when the software is ALL rewritten for ARM, it will be an advantage, but now I have to believe any 12+ hour claim of true productivity is fairy dust to the max...

9. sitoudien

sitoudien Pen Pal - Newbie

Why is this thing so expensive? I priced this in canada and it came to $70 more than an equivalent iPad pro 12.9. MS hardware division was supposed to inspire the OEM to innovate. But after some initial interest, where's the innovation? There are some cheaper Surface pro 6 clones, but all have been discontinued and interest is dryed up.

10. JoeS

So if I were a casual user and prospective customer and saw this
    Laptop Magazine: Surface Pro X, what it can and cannot run
    I would run away and never look back.

I’m sure many folks don’t know what any of this means, and are not particularly thrilled to figure all this stuff out. Thankfully people will try it anyway because the X is so much cheaper. Oh wait, no it isn’t. Facepalm emoji.

Bronsky likes this.