Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So a bit of hopeful news to brighten all the WOA gloom these days...

As some of you may remember, Mark Ingram (lead Affinity dev) posted a promising tweet a couple months ago confirming upcoming ARM64 native support:

"NET 5 Preview 6 doesn’t support WPF on ARM64 yet, when it does we’ll look at switching. At the same time we’re re-writing our Windows UI to be native, which will give performance benefits and open up ARM64 support too. Either way, Affinity will come to Windows ARM64"

And just a couple of weeks ago, on the ARM64 support issue tracker, Tom McDonald (MS lead developer on dotNET 5.0) confirmed that the first ARM native build is on it's way:

"Closing this issue as we have a pending PR that completes .NET 5.0 for Windows ARM64 support."

For those unfamiliar with the terminology, a PR is a "pull request" (one of the steps in the GitHub development process) that signals the start of a new source branch:

(Dzone)

[​IMG]

TL;DR This means that many applications that use dotNET libraries will run natively on the SPX. And as noted by eluxe on the Affinity forums, we can expect Photo and Designer (which are built on WPF) on the SPX by the first half of next year:

(WPF Proposed Roadmap)
    [​IMG]

So all you SPX owners out there, don't lose hope! It's gonna get good (probably) eventually! :)

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Spoken like the little boy whose older brothers dumped him in a pile of horse manure, who started flailing and digging deeper exclaiming "There's got to be a pony in here somewhere!"

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

thierryb likes this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Chris_Kez likes this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

5G alone makes it is decent upgrade. At least around here, where it is plentyful.

Chris_Kez and desertlap like this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Me as well though I don't think it's enough to make me seriously consider it. OTOH a couple of our Asian partners are hearing that it might get a price drop in the range of $849 for the base model. That rumor is a bit iffy though so take as such.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yea. When I went for the Note 10 over the 10+ and upgraded to the Go2, I decided to forego 5G until my next phone and tablet. I'm assuming that, by the time I'm ready to upgrade to the Go3 or some folding device, they will all be 5G.

9. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5G is still a nonissue for me, aside from the possible truth to claims that congestion is less of a problem with the new tech. mmWave isn’t going to be anywhere I travel, for years; sub-6Ghz is a vast disappointment. For example, on their own coverage maps you can see that T-Mobile’s 600Mhz 5G is a subset of their 4G LTE and by all accounts not noticeably faster. They had originally claimed that 600Mhz 5G would have greater reach...
    86BF49BB-49F1-4B25-AED2-EC01CB407FE7.jpeg
    FDC7473A-F486-4059-8AEC-EE0D58DD1855.jpeg

Also, nearly 1.5 years ago I wondered on this forum what Verizon was going to do about their independent telco partners that still only had 3G, such as where I was at the time (Great Basin National Park). Would they drop them from their “extended service” since Verizon was going all-in on LTE by the end of 2019, dropping 2G/3G and ceasing to sell phones that worked with those?

Turns out they didn’t tell the full truth. There I was in the Great Basin National Park 4 months ago with only LTE available to my smartphone and therefore no cell service since I believed them and discarded my 3G capabilities. I was talking to someone who was using his smartphone online and asked if he had ATT or T-Mobile. “Verizon,” he said. But he could only get 3G...

PO’d? Yes. Yes I was and still am. Never trust these companies and their claims. :mad:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Chris_Kez and dstrauss like this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@dellaster - a single motto for ALL the carriers:

"Can you hear me lying now?"