Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...This concerns me the most when I hear rumors of the Go 3 (or x?) heading to ARM power...>>

@Bronsky : Even though Microsoft has left the Pro X to twist... slowly, slowly... in the wind, perhaps an ARM Go might be treated better because of its (presumably) larger user base. It's important to understand that my beef with Microsoft over the Pro X isn't that the UX was initially poor... no, my beef is that Microsoft failed to make any lasting effort to improve it. If Microsoft expands ARM to other parts of its ecosystem, perhaps they will also pay more attention to it...

Bronsky, JoeS and Bishop like this.
  2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I think the main thing is they really just need to catch up on their developer tools and get some of these devs, including those internal to Microsoft - Powertoys, Teams, the new Skype, Xbox, all of their casual games, Minecraft (which used to support ARM32 but no longer seems to do anything but crash on ARM PCs), to port stuff over to ARM64. It's just ridiculous how half-assed everything is, even nearly a year later. Apple on the other hand is seemingly going to be ready to go on day 1.

More than anything else, Microsoft needs to show some attempt to throw their weight behind ARM, otherwise it'll die off like everything else they mostly ignore.

3. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

I'm curious to see what Microsoft has to say about an SQ2 processor, and whether they actually share an update on x86 64 bit emulation. As a Pro X fan on the sidelines I'm hoping for big news on both fronts, but I'm keeping expectations low. I'd love to replace my aging SP5 with a used Pro X 2 later next year.

desertlap likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm dubious as well. It makes sense and is in line with what Qualcomm has been saying about getting all of their chipsets to 5g. OTOH if it's just a "plus" type refresh like what they did with the 855 and 865 before them the bump will only be observable in benchmarks versus real world.

Based on our one experiments with the 8CX chips of which the SQ1 is a minor variant, the core issue when it comes to WOA is that it can't turbo for any amount of sustained time especially when running emulation. (which pretty much requires it 100% to be responsive) .

It has to be thermally limited and thus unless the new Pro X has some type of new, active cooling solution I have my doubts,

OTOH, slapping new colors on it and calling it new is very Apple like....:eek::confused:

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You are soooooooo cynical - we can now use our memoji as our watch face - isn't that a significant improvement?:p

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It's the use of the words "if" and "perhaps" that concern me.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, what a wonderful Christmas we'd have...

Bronsky likes this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...It's the use of the words "if" and "perhaps" that concern me...>>

Based on Microsoft's history, you're right to be concerned...

Bronsky likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh I so called them updating the the Pro X. Given Apple’s turn to Arm, this makes perfect sense Microsoft would reaffirm their arm commitment. But more then the Hardware, they need to get Apps on board. No more saying Adobe CC will be coming, it needs to freaking get here finally, along with other programs. Samsung was able to pull a miracle and get Clip Studio on Android, Microsoft needs to make similar strides if it wants us to get on the Pro X ship.

And with the ARM MacBook rumored to hit $799, the Pro X 2 needs to be priced much cheaper to be more competitive. Especially since the keyboard is still a separate purchase. They need to get as close to the $799 price point as they can.

So to sum up the current rumors are, Low Cost Laptop, and from the looks of things, mostly A mouse fart update to the Pro X, with Pro 8/Laptop 4/Studio 3 being moved to 2021.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Steve S, dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I could see an ARM MacBook be $799 if it didn't have an oled display & came with 64gb of storage(the regular iPad starts at 32gb, which is a f*cking joke), but I think Apple will come a bit strong here & give it an oled display & have it start 128gb of storage at $1000 price range. Plus, I am sure they want a little price separation from the iPad Pro.