Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Great, this is what some of us here have been hoping for! Not sure if that makes it into a Surface Mobile, more like a Go Pro X. Which is totally fine by me!

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I'm sure I'll get attributed.by the blogs...>>

@desertlap : This has been mentioned before, but what blog(s) have been quoting you...?

3. Bergman

Bergman Scribbler - Standard Member

Olive Tree for sure has the Passion Translation and actually also has the second edition of it as well. I have had that for a while now.

4. Bergman

Bergman Scribbler - Standard Member

So let me once again play devils advocate and say its a shame you feel that way but at least you are being honest that the failure is in the expectation. All the things you listed were slanted in a negative light but I could easily put a positive spin just the same. The processor has proven in test to be certainly more powerful than the stock QUALCOMM version however the goal here was not to add pure power but to tweak the chip to function better with non-native ARM apps and they certainly accomplished that. I don't see slow downs or blue screens when running Win32/64 apps at all. The pen and rechargeable silo are STILL a unique and very usable feature that no other device has. The size and weight are very small compared to other devices and the bezels while still there have been shrunk to tolerable size. You really cant complain about the screen here Steve honestly. All Surface screens are very nice and this one is no exception. I am a screen snob and this screen is way above average. Instant on is a huge plus for me, huge. While I was hoping for incredible battery life I am satisfied with just very good battery life as this gets between and hour and two more than my Pro 6 with the same screen settings. Personally I consider the extra battery life to be a welcome addition and I still focus on doing all I can on the app side to maximize battery life, which, is part of owning technology in 2020. I have the same ting using my Apple devices really.

look I am not saying this thing is perfect but there are always two ways to look at technology devices and when I look at my Pro X I see a devices that MS made huge leaps forward with. Slim and light, instant on while still running stock Windows 10. runs a vast majority of programs with little or no slow down on a ARM chip. Gives me LTE, a rechargeable pen built in to the keyboard, and a larger screen than the Pro line with more battery life than any other Surface device. Would I like to see more battery? yes. Would I like to see it run every possible piece of Win32/64 software out there? yes. But if this device disappoints your expectation I really think you need to stop and ask yourself what am I really expecting to get here before you buy something. I am certainly not going to change your mind here, and I am not even going to try at this point as it appears you have some pretty strong negative feelings toward MS in general, but I want to make these posts because there are other people out there reading this forum and making decisions on buying or not buying technology based on what they read. I think they need to hear both sides as there are some of us out there that are more than satisfied with it. Maybe I am just an old fart here but I remember buying devices in the past that were really bad. Devices that were not designed to run all software, ones that had blue screens all over the place, horrible battery life, dim screens, tank builds, heavy as a boat anchor, you name it I have had it. What I can say is this device is none of those so for me at least it meets my expectations. Does not exceed them, but it at least meets them. Rant over.....

FZelle, djas and Chris_Kez like this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Steve S I don't really remember , maybe techhive? I only saw them because other members here like Bronsky and Bishop noticed it and pointed them out to me.

Obviously I didn't take those websites seriously

6. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I didn't see it when I tried the app earlier, but I do it see it on the website. I'll check the app again. I think I missed it because it offers you free bibles when you first start the app, and I didn't see it in that list. I assumed those were all the bibles it had. They do not make it easy to find the other, purchasable options. Youversion just puts it all out there.

I finally took my X down to the AT&T store and added a line for it. I think of it like the first gen MacBook Air. It's more about form than function. It functions enough. I was willing to pay more for the form - the really thin body, the big screen in the same footprint, the keyboard/pen set up, the integrated LTE. Yes, I could have gotten a Surface Pro 7 with the same RAM and storage for the same price, but for me, the bigger screen, slim pen, and LTE were worth more once I confirmed the music reader I use is ARM native. As this is largely (heh) a replacement for my iPad Pro 12.9, the bigger screen really does make a difference.

Chris_Kez and Bishop like this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

so long as they can reach the Go2 price points, That could give WOA a new lease on life. Or at the very least a stay of execution.

JoeS likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I can tell you that I'm not going backwards. I have no problem migrating to WOA if I can run legacy programs without bogging down. Otherwise, I guess I'll be hanging onto my Go2 until its pried from my cold, dead hands:vbcool:.

Adobe and Word Perfect are the only two remaining programs that continue chaining me to the Windows universe. If I have to abandon them because they run sub-optimally, what's the point of staying with Windows?

darkmagistric, dellaster and dstrauss like this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

All of this discussion is interesting, but other than screen size and potentially battery life what do you really get with a Pro X over the GO2, especially when the GO2 outperforms the Pro X in single core scores for half the price? My Samsung Flex 13 doesn't have LTE, but screen, siloed S Pen, keyboard, and raw performance runs circles around the Pro X for very little additional weight.

See, that's the great thing about the term PC - it's personal computing and to each their own without criticizing their choices, opinions about devices, or rationale for those choices.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    Chris_Kez likes this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...if this device disappoints your expectation I really think you need to stop and ask yourself what am I really expecting to get here before you buy something...>>

I'll get to this in a second.

@Bergman : You bring up good points, and I respect your opinion. Unfortunately, we seem to live in a world now where only superlatives are considered to be good; I believe that my characterization of the Pro X is objective, given the grand production of its introduction back in October. I agree that the SQ1 tweaking enables it to better run Windows code, but if you recall back in October, Panos spoke about its computing power just as much as its processing optimization; and although the SQ1 scores better than a generic 855, it doesn't score that much better. I also agree that the screen is very nice, but didn't we pay for that screen in the premium price of the Pro X, making an outstanding screen a given? As for screen size, I continue to say that was simply engineering the details, something that we also paid for in the price. I agree that the pen and cradle are a clever feature and I said so. I agree that the Pro X is thin and light; but I also contend that the balance of power consumption, cooling and battery operating life is evident in the Pro X's performance... which is neither spectacularly good nor painfully bad... it's just adequate. And this is where this issue of superlatives comes into play. Saying that something is adequate to the task is not an insult; it simply suggests that the design is not overly engineered. In my work life, we designed systems to meet requirements, and we learned that customers don't want to pay for over-engineering; they want designs that meet the needs, and that's all. In fact, over engineering was penalized because the customer bought someone else's product. So that's were I'm coming from in my assessment of the Pro X.

I also disagree on a couple of points. The Pro X may run "stock" Windows 10 but it only runs 32 bit applications; it's not 32/64 bit. That's fine if you don't need 64 bit apps, but I still run a few of those. Note that this isn't a criticism, per se. Microsoft did warn us about this up front. Also, I don't have strong negative feelings about Microsoft, I have strong negative feelings about how the Pro X, as a total product has turned out. Recognizing that Microsoft systemically needs a couple of iterations to get a product tuned up isn't negative feelings, it's an objective recognition of reality.

So that brings us back expectation and disappointment. Yes, I am disappointed in the Pro X, but that disappointment stems from how it was presented to me and the buying public by Panos and Microsoft. On screen and off, Panos portrayed the Pro X as a new take on Windows hardware and the future. Except it hasn't been, so far. I won't replow old ground about how support for the Pro X has played out, but again, I think an objective assessment of the promises that were made and the reality of what has happened adequately backs up my position. (And, interestingly, note what Panos has been saying about the Duo. A specialty product. Made for Surface enthusiasts. If he had said this about the Pro X, I wouldn't have such a problem with it...)

Thanks for your comments and I guess we'll simply agree to disagree...

Kumabjorn, Chris_Kez and dstrauss like this.