Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I think at least for me the more likely scenario is "Surface Pro X plummets to its death from the balcony. SSD survives and can be taken out and put straight into a replacement X". Which is perfect when you have MS complete or money for a replacement device. Minimal downtime, no need to reinstall apps and copy data.

Edit: quality article and discussion. Some commenters mention that it's not known whether the OS is also on that m.2. If not, my off-the-balcony scenario wouldn't work quite as well. Still helpful to be able to transfer data off a dead device though.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    wataru likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That is a good article.

Reading about the processor though makes me wonder if I was another manufacturer, why the heck would I release an 8CX based device to have to compete with this?

Of course the answer may already be here, since only Samsung has announced the Book S and it's not shipping yet. And it looks like the Pro X is going to beat it to market.

Starting to look like a tech version of The Bachelor :)

Edit: we have very preliminary information that the drive has everything including OS on it and is "service provider" serviceable. Which would mean of course the MS Store, but also places like Best Buy that have geek squad

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Tech sites were reporting an earlier release date for the Book S:

(CNET)
    "The Samsung Galaxy Book S will be available in gold or gray versions in September starting at $999."

That would have allowed them to preempt the SPX and everything would have been rosy. Have you heard anything about a delay or change of plans?

I honestly am tying my head in knots trying to figure out Samsung's overall strategy with the Galaxy Book line. Like where is the rumoured "Book3"? And why not release a "Book Pro" for your corporate clients? (Surely not all of them would be able to manage a full switch to ARM before even MS managed it.)

Sigh...oh Samsung, if you're going to bumble about, can you please not do it with your most promising tablet line? (Do it with one your Notebook 5/7 lines nobody cares about. :p)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They did and that same time frame was what we were told. We still haven't received a test unit either and "normally" those precede the actual release by a couple of weeks. We've asked several times about it and the only response so far has been, "soon"

EDIT: this has no basis in hard fact just speculation and rumor, but we've heard that the 8CX has had "teething issues" and that might be responsible. And perhaps the SQ1 was a on separate enough path?

Marty likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

That i an island outside Hiroshima. So, for once I'm innocent.

dstrauss, Tams and Marty like this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Seems silly to have two different ones [keyboards]…>>

...Silly, indeed.

Speaking about the two keyboards, a close inspection suggests that that the bundled keyboard (with pen cradle) is covered with Alcantara while the non-pen cradle keyboard is plastic...

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Maybe the website is messed up - that just makes no sense.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Maybe the website is messed up...>>

...I thought about that, too. Let's hope that's the case, because the current situation seems... ill-thought out at best!

9. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not taking any chances, changed the order for the bundle one

dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  10. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If anyone sees a demo unit let’s us know.