Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

On a related note, yesterday I manually started the update using the Upgrade Advisor, and while I could see the process running in task manager, the UI was missing. I was almost ready to reboot anyway, until I randomly checked the up arrow in the system tray. Seems like the Upgrade Advisor minimizes to the tray, and the icon may end up hidden. Brilliant!

WillAdams, Bronsky and Bishop like this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Has anyone been able to install 2004 on their Pro X? I got it offered yesterday via Windows Update, but then received the "You're not worthy" message...

JoeS and Bronsky like this.
  3. JoeS

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Leave it to our old friend Daniel Rubino to think MacOS on ARM is a good thing (a rising tide raises all boats) when in fact it is just going to underscore the inferiority of WOA vs Windows on x86:

Windows Central

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

We'll see if Apple can pressure developers better than Microsoft. I suspect they can. But I also bet Apple's toolchains will be ready to go from day 1.

JoeS likes this.
  6. JoeS

Apple has a tendency to go 'all-in', whereas MS seems to be pussyfooting in many cases. Most likely because MS has a lot more huge customers who wouldn't like drastic changes. So I'm thinking when Apple goes all-ARM, developers are more likely to believe that this is going to matter in the long run, whereas Win developers are justified in their wait-and-see attitude. Looking forward to an impossibly sleek MacBook Air 360 with pencil and touch! :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    desertlap and dstrauss like this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Finally received the system hardware update and the usual other Patch Tuesday updates, but after installing them, my Pro X is still unworthy of 2004. Interestingly, it's the only platform where Windows Update consistently offers it for download and installation...?!??

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@JoeS That's exactly right, though its much easier with a much more controlled (and smaller) user base. I'm not sure Tim Cook is as committed to that as Jobs was though.

Ironically though WOA may benefit indirectly as it's easier to port across ARM based platforms than it is from X86 to ARM

JoeS likes this.
  9. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Same

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well folks - watched the WWDC during lunch break (well, a little over because I wanted to see the ARM part) - and they went through a LONNNNGGGG demo of the next MacOS and wasn't impressed until after that, during the MacOS on Apple Silicon (not MacOS ARM), they demoed and explained:
    • Full Word, Excel, and PowerPoint ALREADY running native at a very fast clip
    • Full Adobe Photoshop manipulating 5gb photographs (yes, GB)
    • And an "Oh by the way, the MacOS demo we showed you earlier was also entirely on an Apple Silicon Mac"
    WOA is a slug bug in comparison...

darkmagistric, Chris_Kez and Bronsky like this.