Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wondered about that too. Our two lab units don't show any of that movement either.

I suspect he's got a faulty pen. However if that's the case I would think he'd be having issues with it as well.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I would think he'd be having issues with it as well...>>

Perhaps the nib isn't fully inserted…?

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So taking a moment to look closely at one of the slim pens, Its really difficult to see, but there is what looks like a plastic stop/guide in the housing where the nib is. I could see that getting easily broken and/or go missing

4. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the feedback. I think I figured out between then and now that the pen nib is actually designed to have a slight springy motion, but I simply didn't notice it until recently because my touch was too light. I thought it was completely fixed in place. The thing is, it seems to have little-to-nothing to do with the IAF... it simply retracts a just a little bit when you bear directly down on it hard enough. The effect is similar to pushing a button rather than the gradual retraction of a Wacom nib, but it's not necessarily bad.

The whole thing is likely OCD, but you know, still interesting to study every minute detail lol. If you guys still don't think your pen has this characteristic, maybe one day I'll try to find an excuse to visit the MS store and compare, but I doubt I'll follow up because it's really not bad and I'm almost positive it's intentional.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Looks like I'm getting a new 5/14 system hardware update on Insider Fast today.

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I have it installed - Telephony is much improved including Teams Calls

7. jhoff80

Looks like one feature that is added is calling using "Your Phone": https://www.onmsft.com/news/surface-pro-x-may-2020-firmware-update

I notice in addition to what this article states, I got a newer GPU driver. I don't think it fixed my issue with sites with embedded video though. I saw a driver crash last night on the Discord GIF search. No green screen from it yet, but that's about typical with the behavior I've been seeing lately. One or two GPU driver crashes which the system stays alive during, and then on the 3rd or 4th time it causes a green screen.

8. Wiz

Wiz Pen Pal - Newbie

The 5/14 update also arrived in Slow Ring...

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

9. jhoff80

Still getting the video driver crashes.

10. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Ok. So my SPX is not on an insider track. When I went to check for updates this morning, the normal Windows Update check offered 2004. Figuring it must be ready, I clicked update.

It went through "Getting ready," it went through downloading, and it started installing. About 40% in, it puts up a dialog I've never seen before "Seeing if you're" compatible or something. Then it tells me 2004 isn't ready for my machine. No combination of the available dialog buttons returns me to Settings. On the third go, and after the not ready dialog, I just x'ed out and closed Settings.

Crappy UI/user experience on MS hardware no less.

upload_2020-5-28_15-21-4.png

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    dstrauss and JoeS like this.