Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

$900 for 8GB/256GB, not too bad. The "most helpful" review on that Amazon page though, ouch! :confused:
    Of course the claim "None - literally none - of the software I use will work on this machine." is likely overblown. Which use exclusively uses x64-bit only software? The fact that this review is considered most helpful though speaks volumes.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  3. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's another article form that site that looks promising to this platform:
    https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-close-to-emulating-x64-code-emulation-on-arm/

MS blew it with this PC, it was overblown as a replacement for a Surface Pro with all day battery when it isn't. As you also have a Book2, I think you'll agree, the WoA devices can make for a very powerful machine, low cost, with all day plus battery life depending on what you're doing with it. IE/Edge, Office365, Windows Store Apps, run great, nice and fast and I'm on 18 months with it. The SPX seems to miss on all of these as well as marketing. I'm always looking for an excuse to want the SPX, but until the battery life equals the Book2, I just can't justify the cost. Plus I like being able to use my Note 10/Book2 stylus on either device!

JoeS likes this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Totally agreed, they missed on weight, price, compatibility, battery life. But, as I've stated too many times before, based on my experience with the Book 2 I'd definitely get a WoA Go 2 if they released it. Let's hope the Pro X is not the final Surface on ARM.

5. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

The product line will likely continue and every iteration will just be called "Pro X", just like with iPad.

There has to be an ARM PC-based competitor to Apple, right? I still think it's really awesome they are moving to ARM with the MacBooks, both for them and WoA.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You know I've been thinking about MS' often bewildering decisions regarding the SPX and WOA in general...

For example, why launch the SPX before Edge Chromium was fully ready, even though Panos knew full well the first question people ask is "can it run Chrome?"

Or why price it higher than the much-respected, tried-and-true SP7, knowing full well there would be bugs on the new chipset/OS build and that it didn't have full x86 compatibility?

The strategy doesn't add up. So I started wondering maybe it was not actually all up to MS⁠—ie. their hands were tied⁠—by contractual obligation to Qualcomm, like how @desertlap brought up that Qualcomm licensing terms prevent WOS chips from being used together with Intel ones.

So perhaps MS was under contract to not to price a WOS product under the equivalent Intel product (so as not to be seen as 'lesser'), thus you get the high launch price of the SPX.

And perhaps an additional term was that MS must launch the flagship WOS product no later than the equivalent Intel product by holiday 2019. Thus you get the SPX rushed out the door to match the regular SP release cycle.

I know this may venturing down conspiracy lane (but what's a good TPCR thread without a little tinfoil-hatting ;)), but given how much Qualcomm seemed hellbent to position the 8cx and a true i5 replacement, I don't think it is stretch to say that it may have been Qualcomm that tried to fly too high on wax wings, dragging MS along with it.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Kumabjorn and dstrauss like this.
  7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Here is a question Qualcomm, at least on android has meh support as they drop drivers for their cpu kind of early, why Android OS updates beyond 3 years can be a mess. Is there much worry of that here or is windows more open for that not to be a worry?

I really wish qualcomm had more ARM competition.

dstrauss likes this.
  8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So it looks like .NET 5.0 is going to be a decent milestone for ARM64.
    https://github.com/dotnet/runtime/issues/36699

WPF was not previously possible. Edit: Windows Forms might not have been either, I can't remember.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's good news though the at best conflicting messages are continuing to undermine the device and platform

Our lead developer got information recently on some forthcoming white papers and possible online seminars on "64 Bit X86 support " on WOS. Unclear at this point if it's going to be focused on porting 64 Bit X86 to ARM or indirect confirmation of 64bit X86 emulation.

We are watching this very closely and our own developers are split on how workable it will be. Consensus though is that it will not be a panacea regardless and will likely require considerable tweaking by end users via software controls on a per app basis.

Memory management being the top line challenge. One theory being floated is that MS and other app developers could release custom app containers (WOA already has limited support for this) to allow 64 bit x86 apps with all the tweaks required "built in"

That seems like a way forward, but it's not exactly user friendly and could be very challenging in trying to run two of these "containers" side by side for instance.

Again, speculation on our part :)

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I recently noticed my Slim Pen's tip will move when held vertically and bearing down with a higher degree of pressure...>>

@desertlap : Maybe I'm not understanding your description, but neither of my Slim Pens shows any sign of such movement. The gap between the nib and the pen body is miniscule...???