Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The cloud kindle cloud reader is surprisingly functional across a wide range of devices including most android tablets and chromebooks . I don't think it's better than the dedicated app on iPads or even say a galaxy tab, but definitely better than old kindle store app or even the deprecated windows store app version. It also has the benefit of being a reasonable "guest" solution for people like me that are constantly using a variety of devices for job related reasons.

As to Teams, I think as much as anything the current situation has created a trial by fire situation that MS never anticipated. Usage has absolutely skyrocketed and we have heard informally that there numerous issues across the board especially on the back end. Fortunately MS seems to grasp both the severity and opportunity here as we have heard that there are several high priority "strike teams" dedicated to nothing but addressing those issues.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    JoeS and jnjroach like this.
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Yes, more than most people will ever realize, the things that MS did to shore up Teams has been astounding. I can't talk about them as I'm under NDA :)

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Shouldn't that just be your official forum status at this point? :p

JoeS likes this.
  4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I share what I can :D - My complex situation is that I was a Surface MVP which had an NDA but Microsoft is my biggest customer for the consulting agency I run, so that has another level of NDA. I work across all sectors at Microsoft so I touch many teams and create many assets for Microsoft. To be fair, if this dealt more with Amazon and Google, I would face the same as we work with them as well.

5. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I was a Tablet PC MVP 2004-06 (ish ?). Really enjoyed it. One of the best perks was a subscription to all the MSDN tools. Ring binders full of CDs arrived regularly.

jnjroach and JoeS like this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You guys are such TEASES!

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For what it's worth, I put this list together in response to a reddit question, but for some reason the post was hidden. Too many links I guess, some of them pointing to random executables on Mega and Google Drive. Still, two or three people here might find it useful. :D This was sourced mostly from Reddit as well as a Google Spreadsheet that used to be useful but now is mostly horrible since it's public: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...FKGb0z9j__CzvZ7tMMH73xbG8/edit#gid=1423672517

ARM compiled stuff I've found and been using (other than of course Windows Store stuff):

Others I've found from various Reddit threads but don't use and can't vouch for:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Chris_Kez, Steve S, JoeS and 2 others like this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Funny, I recall early on writing *in* that spreadsheet that I was surprised they allowed anonymous editing. I guess that wasn’t changed! :)

Nice to see that Notepad++ and autohotkey made the cut. I use both all the time. Personally I wouldn’t use an unofficial build, but given that volunteers were able to make these I’m hoping official builds won’t be far behind.

Edit: wow, coolplayer, I think I used that a few decades ago! :eek:

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The Notepad++ developer seems to have been slightly hostile to Microsoft's new initiatives like the Windows Store in the past, I doubt he'd be interested in ARM64 support. Personally, I use Code Writer in the store which is an ARM UWP app. But I don't really have the biggest needs other than syntax highlighting so I can make minor edits to things.

Personally for music I'm using Spotify (PWA in Edge) or Foobar2000 from the Store (x86 emulation).

I did make an update though to my post to denote the few official ones.

JoeS likes this.
  10. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm actually interpreting Apple's announcement of moving MacBooks to ARM as another sign that the SPX line/WoA is here to stay. Maybe that's wrong and/or naive? I don't know; I don't think so. Apple put like 12+ years of research into their ARM CPU, I heard, and are currently wiping the floor with it, but people are going to want Qualcomm/MS in there, I think, just as they want AMD to always be there in the x86 war.