Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Personally I'd still very much like a Surface Pro X Mini with OLED, for $700 with keyboard. (keep dreaming..) Basically a Go 2 Pro. I love the battery life, OLED panel, and instant-on of my Galaxy Book2, but I don't love the weight, the Samsung keyboard, or the price. If MS somehow can slim down the Pro and copy the Samsung display, I'd buy it as my home-use 'tablet' in a heartbeat. I sincerely hope they keep WOA alive.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wonder how much additional engineering is required to recode to different arm platforms? I mean I know the iOS Photoshop port has been a long and grueling process.....but how much additional difficulty would there be to take that iOS build and port it to other Arm systems? I mean right now we have 4 main ARM OS's....iOS, Android, ChromeOS, and Windows on Arm. iOS is clearly gonna get first dibs since it nets in the most money....but with Adobe and Photoshop still being the industry standard.....you'd think it would be more preferential to be able to offer it on as many platforms as they could. Given how Chromebooks are becoming more powerful with full Core i5's, and the platforms popularity in the education markets.....I could totally see Adobe continuing Arm development.....just the Chrome flavor of it maybe first.

neongolden likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well that's good news. I really want/hope the Pro X to succeed. It's easily the nicest hardware MS has produced and WOA has great pontetial.

We've heard rumor though not recently of efforts by Qualcomm and Microsoft both to improve x86 emulation and more importantly to get native apps. The Windows X efforts should help with that as things like containerization should apply to both platforms.

That all being said, it still continues to show what I've long though about MS being a bit schizophenic in it's marketing and support and the disconnect that often occurs between them.

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

All of our devs and their peers are of the opinion that the hardest switch is between CISC and RISC (of which ARM is a type) and that porting say an IOS app to WOA is considerably less difficult than porting a pure x86 app to ARM

darkmagistric and jnjroach like this.
  5. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't used a Pro X, I was waiting for it to be released but disappointed by the actual product. It seemed to be a step backwards from the Samsung Book 2. Spec wise, it has it beat, but the Book 2 performs great on Office365 apps, browsing, etc and has better battery life. The high price and lower battery life were the two biggest reasons I passed.

Yes, SPX Mini, 8" screen, LTE for $700 would be hard for me to pass.

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That'd be the Surface Pro Micro. :) My vote is "almost edge to edge screen in the old Go casing". The Go footprint was basically perfect imo, it was just a tad heavy and the bezels were more than a tad too large. They can call it the Pro Mini, or the GoPro X. :D

Bronsky likes this.
  7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Did the marketing material give the 'spotlight' to the SPX? Was there a strong emphasis for businesses to pick the SPX before other Surface devices, or was it about equal?

Did MS give any indication that future enterprise services would be geared towards WOA/10X devices (and by implication, that x86 clients would become 'legacy')?

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Bet I can answer those questions: no, no, and no again.

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

It was the hero device for the mobile/road-warrior...targeted at sales and executives, also vertical markets...

It's critical part for Cloud Native Enterprise Customers.

Chris_Kez and Marty like this.
  10. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

@Marty I don't think they offered any targeted market with it. Rather it was a poor job explaining where it fit in the Surface line, what it did well and what it could do but not so well. Personally, I think the battery life should have been much better. WOA with Win 10S works great for me, Book2 is the laptop I use most frequently for personal use.

I thought Nadella was different but it seems he is running the business same as before. Neo, delayed until next year and the Duo when finally released is going to have less than flagship hardware for most likely a super premium price. SPX and WOA seems like DOA. Win10S came and went, now we're looking at Win10X. Surface device releases are about as innovative and exciting as the next iphone/ipad. The magic died after the Surface Studio.

dstrauss likes this.