Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

ok kewl, it will be the first thing I throw on the spx

2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I still get the feeling Samsung will have the faster storage over the SPX and that could make some difference here.

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Couple more random observations this morning. I re-watched the Pro X portion of the announcement.. The humorous part of that is how pointedly they referred to it as the "Pro X". And the smirk a couple of times on his face when he said "X"

I think that was another subtle shot at Apple. I remember when I went to get my iPhone X and other customers came in asking for it as well. Watching the apple people repeatedly take pains to say "you mean ten" when the customers were pronouncing it "X"

The other observation is that least among our customer base, interest in the pro x is really high. I haven't fielded as many questions about a new MS product since the original surface book. Positive sign anyway.

Marty, metalsiren and dstrauss like this.
  4. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wonder when this will be in a store to check it out as a demo unit

another thing I noticed is at BestBuy they are showing Nov 19th for the SPX... wonder if they had a lot of pre-orders or its just what they were going to get... my MS order says Nov 5th.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  5. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the Samsung Book 2, terrific PC, no issues with it other than it being locked to AT&T. I'm still running Windows 10S and really don't find it a compromise (slower) device for Office apps or browsing. Can't run MS Project, Adobe Acrobat Pro or Nord VPN but those aren't showstoppers. The pen feels cheap but it works well and I can use my Note 9 stylus which is what I typically use.

All said, for $1,200+ (need a pen and KB) I don't find a compelling reason to upgrade and I'd like to see the Book 3 or whatever Samsung calls it before I buy the SPX.

As for the future devices, they seem pretty nice but they're a year out so its vaporware. I'm still waiting on a Surface Mini :) Haven't looked at the SP7 yet, I'll have to check it out.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Update: I made my trip to my local Microsoft Store. It turned out that they only had the Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 out on the floor, though. I was told that only the flagship stores have the Surface Pro X on display currently. Even though I was running on the clock, I managed to slip in a few benchmark runs on the Surface Pro 7 as well as getting a few screenshots of Device Manager. I will post it there in the Surface Pro 7 thread momentarily.

JoeS likes this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

If you guys allow me to double-post, here's a little table I made for the "which to get" thread. I would have a tough time deciding if I wasn't set on having Thunderbolt 3 :p

[​IMG]

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The only thing I question is how did you arrive at “moderate” for those honking huge bezels?

JoeS likes this.
  9. JoeS

PSA: if you want the type cover with pen slot, you need to buy the pen+keyboard bundle. The separate type cover available doesn’t have the pen slot.

Separate pen: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/surface-slim-pen/8mn7mp9nqdlk?activetab=overview

Separate keyboard without pen slot: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/surface-pro-x-keyboard/93kcsbm0cfps?atc=true

Pen + signature keyboard bundle; includes charging slot: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/s...im-pen-bundle/8q2kg9n25xpj?activetab=overview

Steve S and metalsiren like this.
  10. JoeS

My brief time with the Surface Go has forever changed my perspective :D

Bronsky and Kumabjorn like this.