Surface Pro uses Wacom?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Shogmaster, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

From my (bad) memory: Duo 11, ElitePad, X2, Latitude 10, TPT2, Helix, Q702, T902, 500T, 700T, Vivo. Check out this cool table for more information. You'll likely need to accept some compromises (this is the theme of the season), but hopefully you'll discover some sleek device there.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think this could go either way. Either it's possible that the pen could charge via the charging port (forgetting for the moment that normally a charging port is input only, not output as well), or Microsoft are just exploiting the fact that the charging port has a magnet to hold the charging cable, so why not use it to hold the pen as well.

Frankly, I'm more inclined to think it is just a Wacom pen with a strip of metal to be grabbed by the magnet in the charging port...

3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I would have to mostly agree here, and also say the a portion of the tech community also know about Wacom too. Hell, even Samsung is calling their Wacom pen S-Pen, and I am pretty sure that right now has more brad recognition than Wacom.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I think this could go either way...>>

...I agree. The root issue here is that we have two technology vendors making claims and only fragmentary, sometimes circumstantial, evidence. For many of the "facts" that different members are using to defend their conclusions (including me, I might add), I can think of alternate technical workarounds that one might use for a specialized application like Surface. Got a big integrated circuit for a big-screen display? It can be scaled down with newer technology or fewer functions. Got a pen in a magnetic power port? It might just be parking there (no charging) or it might be charging; the RT has 5 contacts in its port, so perhaps there is a way to implement two-way power given enough contacts. Got "two digitizers?" It could be a one-off version of PP (perhaps to solve some near-term integration or functioning problem) or it could be Wacom or it could be a technical slip-of-the-tongue during the presentation. I could go on, but we're all smart folks here.

The good news is that we're now probably only a month away from solving this riddle, but we can still debate it for another couple of weeks!

5. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

I like your view on the whole thing and openness to accept new technology. Like i said at some point it might be a worthy contender for wacom but i really dont want to have to find out if its not. Maybe I will have to try to watch the whole Jeff Han video (which seems tedious with his constant "uhhh and umming"), and i will get more excited. I did some research about a month or two ago and it does seem pretty great but its still pretty new.

Yes I agree. a lot of the options out now dont include a detachable keyboard, I dont want the extra bulk when I dont need it. They also for the most part dont come with wacom, rather new tech or junk tech. And while the helix for me sounds perfect im really not hearing anything about it lately so im getting impatient and the surface could take my money if they use wacom and come out first. Also a 14 inch surface is rumors to be out probably around the same time as the helix will arrive and that to me, would be the tablet to end all tablets.

To me a compromise is hard plastic instead of vaporMG or 5mp instead of 8mp.. But if im going to pay 1000-1400 on a new slate PC, I dont think im going to let wacom, a high res screen, battery life, or portability be any compromises. Whats out now just isnt worth the money. I honestly would have already bought and am still considering the ativ pro had it not been for the samsung forum here drenched in poor quality and service.

I agree, it seems like wacom to me, hopefully.. If you click on the pen on this page the connector looks to just be plastic with an internal magnet. I know its a mockup but i imagine they would have made the pins silver. On the other hand I also dont see a side button which would kinda suck. SOFTPRO - Microsoft Surface Pro Tablet running on Windows 8 Professional

6. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

Steve,

Debating, if done civilly and respectfully, can be a lot of fun.

-Steve

7. tissot

tissot Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure if you did read my post above. The thing is i don't want compromises. :D If i'm going to pay 900-1300 euros for it, i sure as hell want it to be what i'm looking for.

And thanks for the page, but i'm all too familiar with it. :)

It's too bad Microsoft is keeping to tight lipped about everything concerning Surface. If Surface RT release is anything to go by, we will likely see our first review and proper 3rd party hands-on videos couple of days before release. Happily for them i don't have any other device to go for.

8. thegiffman

thegiffman Pen Pal - Newbie

That's an interesting link - I wonder if that company is privy to new information or if their source is just the old Wacom page. On a positive note, if it is Wacom, you can always get the nice Bamboo pen.

9. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah Ive been searching to no end the past few weeks for info on that and the helix pro. I also found this which confirms it as well Wacom Forum - Wacom Europe GmbH &bull; View topic - Surface / Surface PRO and Wacom Bamboo FEEL notice the response says its wacom and is posted by someone from the company. Could be an uninformed employee but who knows. Still keeping my fingers crossed. I went by the microsoft kiosk yesterday to play with the RT a bit, i really like the touch keyboard and overall build/feel of the tablet. The only slight downside to me was the screen seemed a bit small, but still plenty big enough and not a deal breaker. Once the rumored 14" model is released i will be in heaven.

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Debating...can be a lot of fun...>>

Steve: Totally agree...!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.