Surface Pro uses Wacom?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Shogmaster, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tissot

tissot Pen Pal - Newbie

Great news. After waiting Vivo tab and Envy X2 for 2 months, this seals the deal for me to go for Surface Pro.

2. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

Not according to this patent filing by Microsoft:

The Patent behind Microsoft's Digital Pen for Surface Tablets - Patent Bolt

This says that the pen technology on the Surface is proprietary and based on IR/LED technology rather than EMR. I'm more inclined to believe that Microsoft would develop it's own technology for pen-based input rather than rely on another vendor for this critical component of their first branded tablet offering. This would also be in-line with Microsoft's reported product development philosophy for Surface - as most of the technologies used on the Surface were developed internally by Microsoft.

Since there is no word on whether this proprietary pen/inking technology supports pressure sensitivity (no technical reason why it wouldn't), I would probably err on the side of caution and say that the initial offering might not support pressure sensitivity unless we get actual confirmation that it does.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  3. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's more information:

Active Stylus

and a PDF brochure specifically on thePreceptivePixel pen:

http://perceptivepixel.brandgreenhouse.com/_literature_136086/Active_Stylus

According to the literature, the PerceptivePixel pen does support pressure sensitivity, although it doesn't specifically say how many pressure levels it can detect. In any case, I'm glad someone else is fostering pen technology aside from Wacom and N-Trig. Hopefully, it's response/performance can be comparable to a low-end Wacom EMR system and if it does, this should give Wacom a much-needed kick-in-the-arse.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just because Microsoft filed a patent doesn't mean that has anything to do with what the Surface is using. People saw the patent and were guessing. That's all that article was.

Perceptive Pixel's site specifically says that their pen is battery powered; Microsoft's @surface Twitter has said there is no battery in the Surface Pro pen.

Also, their guess is from June anyway. Things could easily change in 6 months even if it WAS using that back then.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Things could easily change in 6 months even if it WAS using that back then...>>

...Although I would like to believe that Microsoft has corraled a breakout pen technology for Surface Pro, I have to agree that the road from a prototype to a final product can be bumpy and full of compromise. However, the thing that sways my thinking on this is Wacom's straightforward statement that their pen technology is being used for Surface Pro. Think about that, for a moment. If you were Microsoft, and some random company claimed to have a leading role in your premier product (and they didn't), would you simply let it pass? I doubt it. And how embarassing for Wacom if the Surface Pro appeared and it used someone else's pen!

In my mind, the information on hand points to Wacom being the chosen technology. I'm not unhappy with that, because, as most everyone points out, Wacom offers a very good inking experience. But I am a bit disappointed that in the 21st Century, there isn't an even better pen technology available...

6. cartoonmonkey

cartoonmonkey Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys, I would not hold out for the Surface Pro to be using a Wacom digitizer.
    This e-mail was from Wacom to myself, months ago. Not fake!

I was bummed. :-/

-Chad

wacom.jpg

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Things change on parts all the time for products like this. It is very likely when your email exchange happened Wacom was not going to be chosen, and in the ensuing months, decision was made that changed it to Wacom.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I would not hold out for the Surface Pro to be using a Wacom digitizer...>>
    <<...It is very likely when your email exchange happened Wacom was not going to be chosen, and in the ensuing months, decision was made that changed it to Wacom...>>

...If the recently reported Microsoft Tweets can be believed, then I have to agree with Shog. In addition to publicly saying that they are a part of Surface Pro (and not being rebuffed), the Tweet that the pen does not contain a battery is very suggestive of a Wacom approach since the Perceptive Pixel pen is known to require a battery. But wait; could the pen technology not be Atmel? Possibly, but during the June introduction, there was a specific comment that the pen magnetically docked with Surface Pro so that it could charge. As far as I know (and that's not very far, so take this with a grain of salt), the Atmel doesn't use a battery either. So the minimal available evidence would suggest that in June, the Perceptive Pixel pen appeared to be the technology of choice. Since then, as Shogmaster points out, the frenzied process of design completion and manufacturing readiness against a schedule could have easily tipped the scales in favor of an older, better developed pen solution. Although Atmel technology might be attractive, my guess is that the depth and maturity of Wacom was (by far) the more attractive choice.

So, rightly or wrongly, my expectation is that Surface Pro uses a Wacom pen. Since this is all speculation, I can certainly be wrong though, so we'll all have to just stay tuned and see what Microsoft rolls out...!

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

They didn't actually say specifically during the intro that the pen charges; they said the pen is magnetic so you can attach it to the charging port. Many took that to believe that the pen would have to charge. I remember that the wording of it was vague but in my mind I always thought they meant that it would clip together for storage.

Anyway, I do wish Microsoft would just announce it already so we can all stop speculating.

10. plebianJay

plebianJay animation monkey

It looks like Wacom changed the page for the Bamboo Feel. It no longer mentions the Surface Pro. The plot thickens! Whatever digitizer they use, I hope it has decent pressure response. Even the latest generation Ntrig would be OK, since it seems like they have improved quite a bit from the Slate500 days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.