Surface Pro (or RT) rated microSDXC speeds posted anywhere?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by greggerca, Feb 10, 2013.

1. greggerca

greggerca Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,
    I think this deserves its own topic because if the Surface(s) hardware supports the extra pins for the UHS-II SDXC standard, storage really doesn't matter in a great new way...

But, I'm having trouble finding a (seemingly) simple spec. I've even tried talking to someone at a physical Microsoft Store - which didn't help.

With the new(ish) UHS-II spec coming for SD and MicroSD format cards, I think it would be OK to get a smaller sized Surface (if they implement the storage fix mentioned in their Reddit AMA where Libraries could "span" removable storage). Then you could expand it with comparably fast storage to the native SSD.

For comparison - AnandTech found the SSD to read / write at 400 / 200 MB/sec.
    MicroSDXC cards rated Class 10 (i.e. ~10MB/sec right?) aren''t super fast in comparison.
    UHS-II MicroSDXC could be up to 100-200MB/sec.

That's OK for cameras or just storage. But UHS-II is much closer to the SATA speeds. If you're doing Photoshop and need a scratch disk or something, a fast enough SDXC could do wonders for you... especially with only 4GB of RAM.

But it requires an extra set of pins (and other magic).

Has anyone seen an indication as to whether either Surface would support these higher speed cards?
    Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. greggerca

Well, after 2 very, very evasive but direct replies from the Surface team on Twitter, the iFixIt site has definitively answered my question!
    I mean, I think...

Their teardown was missing any specific info about the MicroSDXC reader, but luckily, they humored my comment on the step where the MicroSDXC reader was pictured, and posted this picture with the cover opened up.
    [​IMG]

Basically, it looks to me like there would be no way for it to support the extra row of connectors needed to support the UHS-II standard for the 100's of MB/sec transfer promised by the MicroSDXC vendors.

So, you can get big cards, but not big, blazing fast cards on par with the SSD in the machine.
    Unless someone really knows their hardware well.
    I don't. I just don't see 2 rows of connectors.

Maybe UHS-I would be supported properly (which is supposed to get near 100MB/sec) instead of just Class 10.

Thanks iFixIt!

Full TearDown is here:
    Microsoft Surface Pro Teardown - iFixit

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. rpo

rpo Scribbler - Standard Member

I just tested mine with a 64GB Sandisk microSD card (not one of the fast versions since those are limited to 16GB's currently) with a 800MB file. Here are the averages over three transfers:

Read = 39.5 MB/s
    Write = 10.26 MB/s

I am quite impressed with the read speeds, especially since that is what the microSD will be used for by most people.

4. enzoshadow

enzoshadow Pen Pal - Newbie

I would think the Surface Pro would be long retired before MicroSDXC reaches that kind of speed? Just a guess though.

5. greggerca

Yeah, probably true... the "UHS-II verification kits" are barely on the market (like late 2011 / early 2012) so who knows when a real (affordable) UHS-II card would show up.

But, a UHS-I card at 100MB/sec would be pretty great additional storage. Which it may support if those numbers above for a "regular MicroSD card" are that good.

On the Reddit AMA, the Surface team suggested they were going to address "Adding the MicroSD Storage to Windows Libraries" which evidently cannot be done right now. I guess the Surface treats that SDXC slot as a true "removable drive" rather than something you might keep stuck in the device (like say, the Samsung Focus WP7 phone).