Surface Pro Introduction

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

I was finally able to find someone who could supply a few details about what was planned for the Surface Pro introduction on 9 February.

First of all, if you are fortunate enough to have a local Microsoft store, reservation cards for the Surface Pro should be available now! Although reserved quantities will likely vary from location to location, my local store has set aside 25 units and I was able to get a reservation card today. (Bronsky's toast, now!) So definitely touch base if you have a local store... and do it more than once. It took me two tries before people knew about the cards.

Although there were no details about a specific Saturday event (a la the Surface RT introduction), it was assumed that the stores would have some sort of celebration. As in October, my local store will be opening early on Saturday (8 AM rather than the regular time of 10 AM), and there will be provision for a line. The recently announced new Touch Cover and Mouse accessories will be on sale, too. I didn't think to ask about the AC adapter, however.

So the bottom line is that you should definitely check with your local store as details are sure to vary slightly from location to location.

If you discover details different from what I was told, be sure to add them to this thread...

(Sadly, no details yet about pre-order dates for those who are not near a Microsoft store...)

2. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

I called the Houston store this morning and again after I read your message. They told me that they have no idea about the reservation cards. If I can't get one, I hope they open early since I have an exam that Saturday at 9am and it won't be over until 3.

3. Steve S

<<...They told me that they have no idea about the reservation cards...>>

I hate to suggest this, but it may be an issue of being there and asking in person. You may remember when the first set of Microsoft stores opened, they were offering 20% discounts, but based on the stories at the time, you couldn't get the discount over the phone; you had to go into the store *. I wonder if they are running the reservations the same way...?

* I was later told that Microsoft was using the discount as a lure to see what kind of walk-in traffic each location could potentially get; if that was true, then it would make sense that they would discourage phone orders and only honor the discount for people who were physically present in the stores...

4. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

Called my local store, and the guy over the phone said he didn't know of anything, but maybe his boss would if I came in. Not sure if that's a "hey come in and we'll give you one" sort of hint, or if it would just be a wasted trip. :confused:

5. thetruth1983

Success! I drove down there expecting to be turned away but when I told them what I came for, they said no problem. The guy had a huge stack of about 40 cards. He said the stack was double the size on yesterday. Also, he printed me a receipt with my name on it and it says "preorder Microsoft surface pro 128".

Lastly, he said that there will be a bundle where you can get office 365 for 2 years plus the assure plan for $269. If you have a .edu email, you can get a 4 year license with assure and the price will be 80 bucks cheaper.

6. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

care to say what store location?

7. thetruth1983

It was The Galleria in Houston, Texas.

8. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Any discounts to be expected?

9. Steve S

<<...Any discounts to be expected?..>>

...None that I am aware of from Microsoft.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It sure sucks to be 350 miles from the nearest Microsoft store!

11. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

Got mine too :D

So yeah looks like they won't confirm over the phone, but they just hand one out no problem if you walk in. Got a voucher for a 128. Woot!

12. Steve S

<<...It sure sucks to be 350 miles from the nearest Microsoft store!..>>

I understand completely. You seem to indicate that you have a local Best Buy. What, if anything, have they said?

13. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My AMEX points deal looks too good to pass up. I'll have to order online for in-store pickup. Hopefully, BB will have preordering so I can pick one uo on the 9th? BB is 2 minutes from my office. As Yogi would say, "it ain't over 'till it's over."

I thought that was right next door in Texas. Looks like we're both going to have to rely on BB.:(

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  14. dstrauss

But that's still a fer piece to go fer a table, I mean tablet, pilgrim.

15. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Jazzy!

I'm not even going to be getting one of these things, but I can smell "Game Changer" in the air. It's exciting!

Can't wait to read the reviews you guys come up with!

16. dstrauss

Game Changer is right. With the exception of its battery life (for now) the Surface Pro will prove that there is life beyond iPad - that you can have it all in one device. It's kind of like Highlander - "THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!"

17. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So I just was at the Boston store, and for what it's worth, Im the 7th card given out. Maybe I will be wrong about demand, who knows?

18. enzoshadow

enzoshadow Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got back from Costa Mesa, CA store. Said they are not taking pre-orders. Either that or I happen to talk to one of their clueless staff as usual. Any who, I've been excited about this device for a long time, but feels like such a painful experience liking a Microsoft product. The long wait since the announcement, the lack of pricing and release date during the initial announcement. The difficulty just to get a pre-order. Microsoft seems to be still used to the time where they dominated the market, and their marketing team just needed to sit there and do nothing for the product to sell for itself!

19. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Well it might end up being easy to get a pre-order. If they end up being consistent with the RT the online pre-orders aren't due until tomorrow (or maybe the day after?). I'm hoping they will do online pre-orders again so I have at least one method to guarantee getting one on the 9th*. I'm still hoping to get one from the local BB/Staples, but I'll hit the online pre-order button right away as a fail-safe =P

*Although I am a little worried that the 9th being a Saturday will mean it wont arrive until Monday.

20. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That right there is the main reason I'm going to even bother going to the store to buy mine.

Also for what it's worth, they did allow me to specify a model preference, but wouldn't guarantee it either.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013