Surface Pro - In Warranty - Advanced Exchange

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by SaintXx, Nov 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone used this option? My Surface Pro has developed a slight yellow tinting on the right-hand side of the display. I'd like to see if I can return it as it's still under warranty.

The Advanced Exchange option says they'll ship out a Surface Pro to me and when I receive it I can use the box to return mine to them. It also refers to the unit I'm returning as a "non-functioning item." Obviously, my credit card is used as security until the exchange is complete.

Is it appropriate for me to select this option with the problem I'm having?

Thanks in advance!

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Is it appropriate for me to select this option with the problem I'm having?..>>

Saint: You should contact Microsoft Tech Support and ask them about this; they're the ones that will ultimately rule on whether this defect is worthy of a replacement, or not, anyway.

For what it's worth, several members here have reported that Microsoft's exchange policy seems to be pretty liberal (or, at least, it has been), so perhaps that indicates that you have a good chance of getting a replacement. HOWEVER, if the "slight yellow tinting" isn't very obvious, that will increase the difficulty of getting a satisfactory resolution...

Good luck...

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Personally, I've had much better luck trying to get service from the store than I have from their phone support. If that's an option for you, it might be worth the drive.

4. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I'll contact tech support and see if I get lucky, it's a pretty cool option to get the replacement before you send yours as I use mine daily for writing.

I might consider the nearest MS Store too, it's not in my city but a few hours away!

Once again, thanks!

5. skim175

skim175 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just did it with my surface 2. I had a little bit of popping sound coming out of left side bezel. I called up the tech support and they gave me two options; advanced exchange or go to MS store to exchange. Since my unit was functional, I did not feel like driving up to the store to exchange it right away. So, it took 2 business days to ship it. They sent it by overnight FedEx. The warranty was re-set for a new device.

6. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

Very interesting, Skim. Thanks for that information. I'll phone tech support on Monday!

7. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

Nicely done! The yellow tint was covered under warranty and the advanced exchange was an option. I now have the new one and the old one is on its way back, total downtime was only a couple of hours. I'm very impressed.

Anyone know how to remove devices from the tab-sync in Metro IE 11? I have two incarnations of the old Surface Pro that I'm syncing to that no longer exist and were only created thanks to the factory resets I had to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.