Surface Pro Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I was able to do a no money down pre-order for a 128gb surface pro at my local microsoft store today...>>

...As recently as Friday, Noon, my Microsoft store said that they had not yet received information about the 9 February introduction. (That included reservation information.)

<<...was it a no they aren't currently or no not ever doing pre orders?..>>

...At my store, it was they "...don't know..."

2. GaresTaylan

GaresTaylan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, weird. I wonder if my store did something they shouldnt have. Or maybe they were just trying to lock me into another purchase since I was making the return.

They didnt make mention of any bundles either, in case anyone was wondering. They only asked if I wanted to pre-order the 64 or 128 model.

3. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know how accurate this is but a site is claiming that M$ told them that the 128gb has 83gb of free space. Based on this, they predict the 64gb model will have only 19 gb of free space. I don't know what type of software they are adding to the SSD besides the recovery files but if it turns out to be true, hopefully they give us a way to create restore disks so we can free up space.

The 128 GB Surface Pro Has Only 83 GB of Free Space - Softpedia

4. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Scribbler - Standard Member

The author, Bogdan Popa, is an Apple fanboy. So, keep the article in context.

5. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah but hes claiming this is info directly from MS. If this is true it will suck, they really need to figure something out or advertise them truthfully. 45gb is very unacceptable for an OS, and that's before it starts growing with files.

6. brokenlax

brokenlax Pen Pal - Newbie

I had a 128gb 700T and it did came only with around 80gb of space. I also had a 64gb W700 and out of the box it had about 55gb.

Under system settings on windows 8 you have the new option to factory reset without the cd, which is more or less a clean install. This setting worked on the 700t whereas on the w700 I had to create my own usb install disk because Acer didn't create a recovery partition.

So tl;dr: probably no recovery partitions on 64gb to save space.

7. borna761

borna761 Pen Pal - Newbie

Right from the start, we know that the advertized 128GB in Windows will show up as 119GB (128 / 1.024^3). Next, there's boot, MSR and recovery partitions which take away another 1.5GB. If there's Intel Rapid Start installed, that's another 4GB (=RAM size) gone. So now we're down to 113GB. Windows itself takes some 15-20GB; let's assume 20GB, and there's 93GB left. I recall reading somewhere that there is some sort of trial version of Office installed, so let's assume another 5GB gone there. So that brings it down to 88GB. Then there are some apps included - according to Surface specifications you have Windows Mail and Messaging; SkyDrive; Internet Explorer 10; Bing; Xbox Music, Video, and Games - so it's not entirely unreasonable that some more space is taken there.

Is it true? Potentially, quite probably. Is it outrageous? Not really; Windows has always taken space, as have other applications that are installed.

8. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yea, but compared to the iPad...

/s

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Those of us that are "PC" or Mac people know what you are talking about through experience. A "128 GB" machine has a 128 GB HDD or SSD as total capacity...empty. The number is not a reference to free space in any form. Unfortunately, there are now people migrating from "Phablets" that are used to the non-conventional reference of machine memory that is added for personal storage purposes outside of the EPROM that carries the OS and original program set. They are expecting a "16 GB" machine to have 16 GB free for their use. These same misunderstandings are what has been behind the tech writers making fun of TabletPC's for years where a 16 GB iPad is somehow useful when a 32 GB Windows machine was somehow not. Eventually we will all be on the same planet.

10. GaresTaylan

GaresTaylan Pen Pal - Newbie

The iPad doesn't run a full desktop OS with desktop applications. Thats not really an Apples to Apples comparison (no pun intended). Unless I am misinterpreting your post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.