Surface Pro Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...with Satya Nadella and Panos Panay confirming that all of the accessories of the SP3 will be compatible with the SP4...I don't think they will go any larger...>>

...But that statement doesn't rule out an additional Surface Pro model, something like a "Surface Pro 4 Plus?"

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Its possible.... but I still have doubts as it requires a whole new set of accessories and the costs rise exponentially maintaining 3 sets. I think we'll see a MINI and the Pro line at 12".

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

If they were to expand the line, what I would like to see is a Surface convertible ultrabook. Of course, I don't expect to ever see it =P

4. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I think 13" would be good. I hope Win10 has a better way to deal with small fonts for older programs and high res screens.

5. jnjroach

So far they have tweaked the Scaling Algorithm and it better but there is no fixing (outside of recoding) any application that still uses XP GDI Scaling (Chrome, iTunes, Office 2013, Windows Explorer and MMC.exe and many others).

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The hardware is so good, I hope they consider a touch screen ultrabook in the 15" sub-4 lb range - now that would be sweet. I just don't see a Surface Mini anymore, like I don't see a Lumia flagship phablet on the horizon (1520 is too big, too thick, and just too). The roll out yesterday of the same features on iOS for phones and tablets, along with the soon to be released Android version, leads me to believe Microsoft sees those as the "small/mobile device" end of the market, and will focus on perfecting the 10" plus market for Windows. More than one commentator has proclaimed the iPad Mini 2 with Office as "the Surface Mini."

With even Apple abandoning the 7-8" end of the market (iPad Mini Retina 3 - really - touch ID and gold are the only changes over the 2; doesn't even merit the new processor), why would Microsoft dabble in the low end when it has finally started to establish itself as a high end, high quality, player? In fact I believe Nadella and Elop saw this coming last year when they put the breaks to the Surface Mini and green-lighted SPro 3. By now, unless they ripped the motherboards out of those 18 month old designs, they might as well sell them as Samsung/Nook competitors.

So here comes Eeyore' s fearless predictions for Q1/Q2 2015:

1. Surface Pro 4 (physically identical to 3); Broadwell M; i5/i7; 8gb ram; 128gb-512gb

2. Surface Pro Plus - 15" sub-4lb ultrabook*; Broadwell i7; 16gb ram; 256gb-1TB SSD

3. Improved Office for iOS/Android, with closer OneDrive to SPro 4 and SPP syncing

*They might even make this one an N-Trig super-tablet, but with real keyboard dock. Since they are on the outs with Wacom, why not go for Cintiq's throat...

FLAME AWAY!

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The hardware is so good, I hope they consider a touch screen ultrabook...>>

I don't know about an ultrabook, but here's an interesting recent comment by Steve Ballmer:

"...Another highlight of his interview was the claim that real money comes from devices — hence the focus on hardware from Microsoft. It actually started when he was the CEO, and Ballmer says that the company needs to keep moving in this direction..."

This would seem to indicate that Microsoft's foray into hardware isn't a limited-time endeavor.

The source article is here:

http://www.eyeonwindows.com/2014/11/05/steve-ballmer-plans-to-hold-microsoft-stock-for-ever/

(Courtesy of EyeOnWindows site)

8. jnjroach

Microsoft is committed to their hardware business, we heard that loud and clear this week. But we also heard that they are not interested in formfactors that are already well serviced by their OEM partners, read Ultrabooks and I would go as far as ATOM based Tablets. Phones, Surface Pro, IoT Devices and I think ARM based Tablets. Remeber that all hardware is unified under one team now, Xbox, Phone, Surface and all of the accessories (Mice, Keyboard, Cams, etc.).

9. dstrauss

They are spitting into a hurricane force wind if Microsoft thinks they can compete with Apple or Android in the pure tablet/smartphone markets. Windows ARM tablets have no future, and if they are content to "fight for the scraps from Longshanks table" in the low end smartphone market, good luck with that. Sorry, but that's my one-half cent worth.

10. dstrauss

Did you EVER dream (hallucinate) that you would see Ed Bott write this:

"Pre-Nadella, "first and best on Windows" was the guiding principle for Microsoft apps and services, including Office and Skype. If that mindset were still in place, Microsoft might have delayed this week's Office for iOS launch until corresponding versions for Windows were ready. That didn’t happen. In fact, as of this week, if you want the best experience of Office on a mobile device, you should put down that Windows tablet and pick up an iPad."

http://www.zdnet.com/it-really-is-a-new-microsoft-7000035563/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.