Surface Pro Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, anyone use headphones while using their Surface Pro as a laptop? Headphone location is less than optimal. The cord being higher than the keyboard makes it dangle from your ears to above your hands while typing, or you can try to hold it down with your left palm. I think it would have made more sense to put it closer to the keyboard. Looks like I need to invest in some Bluetooth headphones... lol.

EDIT: Was wondering, from what I've read the Touch Cover 2 is suppose to be a smart cover that wakes up the device? So far I've only been able to get it to sleep, but it never wakes up, I always have to manually wake it up with the power button. Is there a specific driver for this? I've downloaded the driver pack from Microsoft and did a clean install.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. ARM

ARM Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't been here for awhile, but the original surface pro has dropped to half the price of the surface pro 2. What's more the surface pro 2 stock is so low over here, it is on continuous pre-order loop.

In NZ dollars:

Surface Pro 1 with 128GB = $749 (converted to USD $635.75)
    Surface Pro 2 with 128GB = $1499 (converted to USD $1272.35)

Maybe better to wait for the 3rd version, although hard to pass up being half the price. Then there is the heat and short battery life. Still I wonder with the Surface Pro 1 release October 2012, is it still worth it anymore?

Edit, just been looking around, and the USA price for the SF2 model with 128GB is $999 usd, oh man that like way cheaper than the stinking $1272 usd we have to pay here. In that case for the SF1 with 128GB, then $635 is not a good deal at all, MS are ripping us off here all around, no good deals

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  3. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think you're really thinking this through all that well. The SP2 isn't a huge upgrade over the SP1, though some of the upgrades, namely the battery, are significant. Also the SP1, has been out only a little more than a year, and the price has already dropped about 40%. That's pretty substantial. $635 now for something that was $1000 a little over a year ago is pretty damn good. That said, there were better deals than that earlier. I got my SP1 for $500 during a weekend sale.

Mesosphere likes this.
  4. ARM

ARM Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks heaps for your insightful reply, this was what I was looking for to make sure if I purchased the original, then I would be still buying something good if not great, especially for the outlay which is reasonably small compared to double price for the pro 2 model, that is what the cheapest retail price on both in New Zealand.
    I already have a surface RT which I picked up for next to nothing, and today I went and grabbed the original pro, and so far pretty happy which it. These devices are truly well made, and for a windows based machine, easily best in class.
    At the end of the day prices rules overall, and my case there is no $499 deals in New Zealand and $635 is the best there has ever been so far. Personally I can't see this dropping much is any lower, pretty much seems to be at bottom line right now. Now is also a good time to buy as the 22nm process is enjoying a long life especially with the Ivy Bridge.

5. WuBoy

Well I personally think it's worth that price. The only downside is that the battery pretty much taps out at 4 hours of continuoSus use, so it's not one of those tablets that you can take and use off and on all day. But for a couple of hours of work here and there with some charging in between you can get some good use out of it.

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

It depends on how you use it. I get about 6 hours of OneNoteing at a low brightness setting.

7. ARM

ARM Pen Pal - Newbie

Although it realty nice to have long cruising battery life while not under much if any load, that does not bother me much, as that would be more of a convenience factor. The biggest decider from me was when mentioned that performance is very close, and at load the actual battery is about the same as the v2 model. I love put load any of my systems, and especially with the surface pro being a full PC, so to speak, then all is about even.
    I did purchase a SFP about 10 weeks ago, but at that stage cost 40% more than what I have just paid yesterday, and not only that performance was very bad with the HD4000, and the price was in striking range of the SFP2. I didn't hesitate to take it back to the store the next day, but then I found out later that the default power saver setting was stopping the IGP from going over 350MHz from my original purchase and me rushing to get my money back without figuring it out first. Now that the price has dropped 40% in just 10 weeks, the SFP is way more attractive and with high performance set to always on, this is meeting my expectations.
    Honestly depends where you live, as the SFP 128GB is exactly half the price of the SFP2 128GB, which basically means you would be a fool to pay double price of the newest version in New Zealand.

8. WuBoy

I usually only get about 4 hours of OneNoteing, but I have it at the middle of the brightness setting so that could be the difference.

I know what you mean. As much as I love the SP1, there's no way I'd pay 1K for it. That's just too much.

9. thorissr

thorissr Pen Pal - Newbie

I came to the same conclusion this morning as what WuBoy stated. I contemplated on whether I wanted the latest and greatest, so I bought a Surface Pro 2 64GB to fulfill my geekness :) After owning the Pro 2 for 5 days I noticed that I'm not even tapping into its full potential as I initially thought I would. Also 85% of the time I'm near a power outlet and for the 15% I'm not near one the battery life is more than sufficient. The small performance gain from the i5 4200/4300 is irrelevant for my needs. I would gain 1 or 2 seconds opening a application, or even ~1 minute when converting video when compared to the OG i5 3317U. Don't get me wrong I think the SP2 is a nice upgrade....especially in the battery department, however I couldn't justify keeping my SP2 when you compare the price point between the OG SP and SP2 alongside the upgrades that came with the SP2 for my personal computing needs.

After thinking long and hard, and reading articles, browsing forum threads, comparing benchmarks (real world vs. lab results) comparing the 2, I decided to go back to the Microsoft Store this morning and exchange my Surface Pro 2 for 2 new 64GB OG Surface Pros. The icing on the cake was the fact that I didn't have to come out of my pocket one red cent!!! It was a even exchange as I took advantage of a promotion they were running which brought the cost of both Pros down to the price of 1 Surface Pro 2.

Again, I'm aware of the OG SP shortcomings when compared to the SP2, however I can managed past them and I feel as though I got the best bang for my buck.

Just my personal experiences and thoughts.

ColoKaren likes this.
  10. ColoKaren

ColoKaren Pen Pal - Newbie

Power Cover up for pre-order, in case anyone missed it: Get the all-in-one cover, keyboard and battery for your Surface. Pre-order the Power Cover for Surface Pro, Surface 2 or Surface Pro 2 today. Buy Surface Power Cover - Microsoft Store

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.