Surface Pro Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

No, because with Bay Trail, they're all identical cores that dynamically clock themselves. Each core is just as capable as the others, and so the OS doesn't have to decide to sometimes send things to 1 core to save battery and then other times decide to send it to the other 4 cores for increased performance like it has to with Tegra.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Oh I see. Sounds (to me) like something that might not be a quick fix then.

3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I am not sure how Tegra 3 compares to the Snapdragon cpu used in the Dell or Samsung RT models, but I do find my Yoga 11's performance to be solid for what I use it for. If anything it is the SSD and wifi card(speed) that I find mostly to be hampering overall performance. Not sure if it's the same on the Surface, at least in terms of SSD speed though. Would be interesting to see how the Surface 2 and next gen Nvidia based RT device perform. Let's just hope next gen RT products also bring us active digitizers.

Speaking of the companion core, there is a interesting discussion over at XDA about overclocking/the unlocking possibilities of the Tegra 3 on RT devices.

4. Allie

Allie Pen Pal - Newbie

I am not sure if I can agree with that BC. I can't speak for wifi speed as I have the Ativ Tab and used the Surface RT before that, but I think what is hampering performance is RAM. Specifically the clock speed, and how Windows isn't effectively using what ram it has. If they had give RT devices even 2.5gb of RAM at say a little faster speed(say by even 75mhz), that would have alleviated some of these issues people are talking about. It's a bit of MS at fault here for not being a bit more demanding with the manufactures when it came to internals.

5. Illustrator76

Illustrator76 I Draw Pictures

I have a few quick questions for you guys.

1. Should I just go ahead and delete the Hibernate file and not use it at all since the Surface Pro uses an SSD?

2. I installed the Intel HD Graphics drivers, and they worked at first, allowing me to tweak the color and saturation, but ever since then all of those options no longer work and there is a message saying that those settings do not work on WiDi. Is anyone else seeing this issue or know any way to fix it?

3. Soes the Samsung Series 7 Slate Pen take the same size nibs as the stock Surface Pro Pen, or does it take the larger size Wacom nibs?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

1. My advice would be No. The Hibernate file is useful for other reasons (for example, if your Pro ever exhausts its battery between charges)

2. The Surface uses the Marvell chip, not the Intel chip. Marvell does not support WiDi

3. The S7S pen is the "old" Wacom design and it uses the larger diameter nibs; the Surface Pro pen uses the Feel IT technology and uses the newer, smaller diameter nibs. As I hope everyone knows, both pens work on the Pro...

7. Illustrator76

Thanks Steve, I have one question on #2 though. Maybe I am confused. I installed the HD 4000 drivers on my Surface Pro and initially I was able to adjust the saturation and everything else on my Surface Pro display using the Intel interface. Now it is not working. I am not trying to stream or do anything wirelessly to a different display, only adjust the settings for my Surface Pro display that initially worked when I installed the Intel HD drivers.

I am confused as to why it worked initially and now it doesn't. Again, maybe I am missing what you are saying.

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Windows Update will overwrite your driver with the old one, which I would guess is what happened to you. You'll need to reinstall the Intel one, and then hide the "System Hardware Update" that's about 65MB from Windows Update to prevent that from happening.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Just an FYI - from your local "Sybil" clone - have ordered a Dell XPS 12 with i7-4500 Haswell, 8gb ram and 512gb SSD - so I'll be haunting the Dell discussion boards for a while. That's good news for all of you, in more ways than one, PARTICULARLY because it seems that every time I jump ship (or is that "the shark") on a vendor, they immediately release what I have been dreaming of - so that means Microsoft will announce the Surface Pro 2 on Monday (ha ha - right!). If you're curious why, I've posted a long-winded diatribe at my blog.

laptop-xps-12-9Q33-mag-965-features-module-1.jpg

10. Illustrator76

GOTCHA, that is probably what happened as Windows did update quite a few times after I installed that driver. Thanks for the info!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.