Surface Pro Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This probably matters to only me but HP has finally posted W8 drivers for a wide range of its printers that were not supported at the time W8 was released six months ago. All of the P1xxx series are now supported. So, now the dozen or so 1xxx series printers in my office are W8 capable (even Minolta beat HP to the draw with a W8 driver update for our Bizhub network printer) and I can start to think about a single device to replace my X301 Thinkpad and Fuji Q552.:thumbsup: The Surface Pro is still at the top of my list, but with Computex right around the corner, I'll have to see what's coming before I take a trip down I-95 to the Delaware MS store. MS will probably skip Computex and wait for their own developer conference later this month. Hopefully, we'll get news of a battery KB.

I must say that I bought this Fuji a couple of months ago and have been very impressed with the build quality. In its folio, it makes a decent portable productivity device. It's just big. I really miss slipping the Surface into my briefcase and not noticing it was there. The Fuji in its folio takes up a lot of room and I have to be concerned about what else I put in there. The other thing is that I'm ready for an I-Core tablet again. I have missed the power of my Surface since I regrettably decided to give it up.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

My bet is your patience will soon be rewarded with a Surface Pro-S (as in iPhone 4s, 5s) - keeping the same design but slip-streaming a Haswell processor, 256GB storage option, battery supplementing keyboard, and maybe even an LTE option, all of course for seriously more dinero!

3. Bronsky

The mortgage is almost paid off.:thumbsup: Now, if I can only get those college educations behind me.

BTW, has MS solved the scaling problem if you keep the SP at 150% and plug into a 1080p display at the office? Do I need to invest in a high resolution display?:D

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  4. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

Go for the high res display. I have them and can't go back. No issues with external display for me. I agree with waiting for next generation at this point. I still love my Surface Pro after all these months. Only a few small issues with it.

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I read somewhere, though I can't remember where, that this might be in Blue.

6. dstrauss

Go WQHD (2560x1440) and you'll never go back! Mine is an off-brand Auria (from Microcenter - great price! $398 with free delivery, 1 year parts and labor warranty) and I can't stand my formerly great Samsung 27" 1920x1080. Be sure whatever you get has full displayport support (the cheap eBay WQHD's often require dual-link DVI converters - ouch).

As for that college education bill...it is as bad as a second mortgage...:(

7. brokenlax

brokenlax Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it safe to install the Wacom Feel drivers? It doesn't conflict with anything right?

Why isn't Microsoft releasing it via windows update?

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I could be wrong on this, but it's always been my understanding that Microsoft won't distribute any driver that requires a control panel add-in binary as part of Windows Update. It's the same reason you don't get the Intel GPU Control Panel when you use the Windows Update driver for that.

9. Bronsky

Great ... there is a Microcenter 20 minutes from my house.:) Looking forward to Computex, the MS developers conference and the Samsung ATIV reveal all this month. Hopefully, I'll get an idea of what my next tablet will be.

10. dstrauss

Lucky you, the nearest to me is only 333 minutes away! And most of their GOOD STUFF is only available in store.

I'm really hoping I'll be getting a birthday present (by November):

256gb Haswell Surface Pro II
    4g LTE
    Displayport 1.2 support (for daisy chaining hi-res monitors)
    Thunderbolt (pretty, pretty, please - makes the next two possible - maybe even eliminates need for USB3)
    Optional REAL desktop dock - thunderbolt, 4 USB3 ports, displayport, gigabit Ethernet, audio, SD card reader
    Optional battery supplementing keyboard
    Optional 8gb ram

A few additional considerations, (probably too late since this had to be in design for a year):

TWO styluses (styli?) - one like the S-Pen built into the frame, and the current one for long writing sessions
    FULL SIZE SDXC reader (no mo' micro SD)
    Shrink the bezel to 1cm (and thereby expand screen real estate)
    Adjustable kickstand (or maybe two level - split the current one so you get a lower typing level stand)
    OPTIONAL solid keyboard (like the Logitech Ultrathin for iPad) that make it a full ultrabook

ONE LAST DEMAND: LABEL THE FUNCTION KEYS ON THE TOUCH COVER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.