Surface Pro Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. JimB

JimB Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think so but if you check your warranty by typing in the serial number it doesn't reflect the new date of the warranty for some reason. An early post said MS was looking into that but nothing so far. Mine still has the wrong date. Your order history shows the complete added on so that should be proof enough.

3. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Scribbler - Standard Member

I called the MS store in Delaware on Monday and they said they were all out of 128 gb models. I went there anyways and was thinking of settling for a 64.

When I got to the store, I asked and they said they do not have any. I asked them to check and one of the more senior clerks said they were holding a 128, but if I would take it immediately, I could have it. I jumped at it.

So, I have my Surface Pro 128. Since I already bought a new red touch cover on eBay, I did not need that. Opted for the Complete Package which gives you MS Complete for 2 years, Office 365 and a case for $199.00.

A day later I realized I needed the VGA adapter and wanted to try the wedge mouse. Bought the VGA adapter at Best Buy (what a mess of a display!!!) MS needs to hit some stores hard for their lousy care of the Surface display and items. You do not see that with anything Apple in a BB store.

Bought the Wedge Mouse at Staples. I love this thing! Size is phenomenal! Brilliant idea to have a Bluetooth mouse! No USB dongle!

I plug my Nokia Lumia 920 into the USB port for charging at night, when I charge the Surface.

Fantastic product!

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Was that the store at the Christiana Mall? Did you notice if they had pro skins yet? Did the put your SP on? Charge?

5. brokenlax

brokenlax Pen Pal - Newbie

What browsers are you guys using in tablet mode?

Firefox desktop: pinch to zoom works, but its just traditional zoom so no fluidity. Scrolling doesn't work.
    Firefox Metro: blurry. Unusable.

Chrome desktop: same as Firefox, but scrolling works.
    Chrome metro: no pinch to zoom, text at 100% scaling (super small)

Opera desktop: scrolling works. Zoom works but manual.

So far only IE is usable with touch screen, maybe I'm wrong, so provide some feedback if there are things that I might have missed.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Brilliant idea to have a Bluetooth mouse!..>>

...You mean like the Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000, which has been available for years (I have one from 2009!).

(I'm just pulling your chain, Erik. I apologize!)

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...What browsers are you guys using...>>

broken: Sorry to be unimaginative, but I'm using IE10. I don't necessarily love everything about it, but it works well for almost all of my needs. (I use FireFox, too, but there's nothing about my use cases that would make me prefer it to IE...)

8. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

I use Opera, and find that scrolling with touch is pretty much unusable, but pinch to zoom works great.

9. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, the store was the Christiana Mall.

No pro skins yet.

I don't understand the last question.

10. Rigel

Rigel Scribbler - Standard Member

Well you can add me to the list of Surface Pro owners, I just bought one of the 128gb models. Coming from the Fujitsu Q550 this runs like a dream. I do find the 16:9 form factor a bit odd and wished they would have stayed with a 16:10 at the very least. Is it a deal breaker for me, I will let you know after next week of note taking.

I had hoped to get one of the lenovo Helix, but there are just too many unknowns at this point especially regarding a shipping date. Build quality etc. I have read so many great reviews of the surface so I decided to give it a try.

The n-trig touch experience seems better to me at this point. I find sometimes the touch is not responsive. I do need to find some settings to make the unit more touch friendly in desktop mode, I think the q550 had a utility to run which did this automatically for me.

I also wish they found room for a pen silo but that is minor since I always have pens, my templates, ruler and calculator with me at school anyways so having one more pen along is not a big deal.

I do like the "pen keyboard" I found it understood my handwriiting accurately out of the box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.