Surface Pro Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xfinrodx

xfinrodx Pen Pal - Newbie

I see no such occurrence in mine.

2. brokenlax

brokenlax Pen Pal - Newbie

You need to turn camera stabilization on in the stock camera app then set the view to portrait.

Scared me at first because I thought I had a defective camera but it turned out to be a software bug.

3. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

Add me to the Surface Pro owner's list.

So far I really like this piece of hardware. Very nice. The screen resolution is very small at 100% and I have better than 20/20 vision.

Battery life seems worse than I expected. I think I'll actually have to replace this unit for a different one. My SP is creaking on the left hand side bezel just below the volume buttons. If I press on it, it creaks on the way back up. I think the adhesive isn't working properly there so it sticks and then releases. My concern with this unit in the longterm would be dust penetrating a likely faulty adhesive seal.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I guess we can conclude that the SPro is at least a hit among tablet addicts. It seems like many of the TPCR regulars have bought one. If it does even half as well out in the real world, they really have a hit on their hands.

5. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

Correction to my earlier comment, I forgot something. The new display monitors are called Thunderbolt Displays, and as far as I know of Windows PC's do not work with them. I've even asked at the Apple store and called. The previous version was called Apple Cinema display and these did work with Windows PC's. Sorry about that. So I guess make sure it is an Apple Cinema Display.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It IS a big hit with the tablet crowd, and I think it is going to be the best selling Windows 8 tablet out there. I saw some folks looking at a Samsung ATIV 500, with keyboard, at Sams Club yesterday (good price - $749) but their teenager said it was plastic junk - they out to go look at the Microsoft one at Best Buy. Only an anecdote, and he could be an certified Xbox geek, but encouraging to see folks are making comparisons. HOWEVER, when I go to Best Buy, the Surface display is right next to the iFad table, and the iFads are swarmed and occasionally a few folks stop at the Surface display - one guy was telling his girlfriend, "yeah, that's the one with all the dancing and clicking crap." So much for Microsoft's marketing prowess.

One possibility though - our store still has NO stock of any size of Pro, so maybe people see no reason to look at them, but they do have a crapload of RT's setting in the cage...Microsoft better give serious consideration to a Bay Trail RT size tablet next go-round. In fact, abandon ARM altogether. But that will never happen because they've already been seduced by the Tegra quad core coming this summer, whose Achilles heel is still the lack of Windows 7 compatibility.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I think those RTs may still end up selling after they get some more real world exposure. There was a nice discussion going on the The Verge forum where actual 'long time' users comment on them, and they're all very positive. Four months on, how is your Surface RT? | The Verge Forums

If RT2 boosts the performance, keeps Office, and drops the price a bit, I think it could do great alongside its high-end brother. And maybe add an 'RT2s' model that includes a digitizer and pen for $100 more.

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I think the thing is that many people don't need Windows 7 compatibility, and the number who do will shrink as the Store continues to grow (of course, that's with the assumption here that it'll get more useful apps). Microsoft is now in a position where it doesn't actually matter to them whether an ARM chip or an Intel chip is superior, they can use whichever. For that reason, I don't see them ever ditching ARM and re-tying their fortunes directly to Intel (or vice versa for that matter). It's a benefit to both OEMs (including Microsoft) and the consumer.

9. obscurite

obscurite Pen Pal - Newbie

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The Surface Pro has come a s close as I've ever been able to get to total portability. The reason being - I NEED Word, OneNote, and a very good PDF annotator, and I WANT them all to run without hesitation, and at the same time. Not even an Atom based hybrid can do that, much less iOS or Android. I gladly give into the extra 1/2# and 5 hour battery for those things. We use Acrobat Pro XI at our office, and I added AutoInk for annotation. Top shelf.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.