Surface Pro Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Will it affect the lifespan and efficiency of the battery?..>>

...Yes, it will. The capacity of batteries that are kept constantly charged at 100% degrades at a faster rate than batteries that are used on a regular basis (and therefore have a lower average percent of charge).

See Table 3 here:

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

As a new member of the forum, I'd like to welcome you and suggest that you spend a half hour or an hour skimming the contents of our forums, including the back pages. Questions like yours have already been answered many times; you'll find the answers to many questions that you may have about the Pro or tablets in general...

2. kraize

kraize Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not sure, but I thought the SP stopped charging when it hits 100% and goes in A/C mode. At least that's what batterybar tells me.

3. brokenlax

brokenlax Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tried removing the pen nib? I have a bunch of rubbery ones that I would like to use on my stylus.

4. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

5. marcelor

marcelor Pen Pal - Newbie

Just tried hooking up my 27" Apple LED Cinema Display (mini display port) to the Surface Pro and it doesn't work. That's too bad, I may have to buy something else. Anybody has this combination working?

6. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

Will not work. Not the Sp's fault though. Fault lies with Apple. Non Apple Displays work fine. Dell, HP, Catleap all work and are cheaper.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Don't you need a dual link dvi connector to connect to a Cinema Display?

8. marcelor

marcelor Pen Pal - Newbie

I think it may be a driver problem so this is not quite right. The 27" Apple display does work with a number of other PC hardware in *Windows 7* although it is known not to work with a few as well. Notably, the series 5 of ATI graphics cards won't work with it. This has been determined to be a hardware problem ( non-adherence to standard) on the part of the ATI series 5 cards. Other ATI cards work with it.

The display is actually called the Apple 27" LED Cinema Display and has a mini display port connection. These can be had used for around $500 and are very good displays except that it has a glossy screen. I think, even used, it compares favorably with the cheaper 27" displays out there. If only it can be made to work with the Surface Pro...

9. xfinrodx

xfinrodx Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey are others having their CPUs get warm enough to throttle under heavy usage? I ran a stress test (NOT IBT, that would be stupid on this tablet) and saw throttling as high as 33% and the temperature maxed at 80c. Fans rev up extremely slowly on this device...

10. brokenlax

brokenlax Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I found a camera bug.

In portrait mode when you use the back camera there are some weird streaks.

Can anyone confirm?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.